Essay topics: Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little impact on our customers. In fact, only about 2 percent of customers have complained, indicating that an average of 98 people out of 100 are happy with the change. Furthermore, many servers have reported that a number of customers who ask for butter do not complain when they are given margarine instead. Clearly, either these customers do not distinguish butter from margarine or they use the term 'butter' to refer to either butter or margarine."
Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.
The author has presented the results of the change that recently appeared in the Happy Pancake House restaurants. He indicates that change has been received positively either because many customers do not distinguish butter from margarine or they use the term 'butter' to refer to either butter or margarine. However, such reasons do not support the argument fully. There can be many assertions to counter this opinion.
Firstly,the awareness of the people regarding health and fitness. It is a known fact that margarine tops the health chart if compared to butter because it is made from vegetable oils and animal fats. Hence, if used as a substitute to butter can prove to be more nutritious in the long run. Hence assuming that the customers do not differentiate between the two would be erroneous on the author’s part. It is in fact the extreme fitness conscience of such customers that forbids them from complaining.
Secondly, it is clearly stated that the change has been a recent one, and therefore ,before this people had no other option apart from consuming butter in their daily diet. It must have become more of a habit to use the term “butter” to refer to either of the two. Thus making the author think that the people do not know the difference between the two of them.
Thirdly, as statistics show that ninety eight people out of hundred are happy with the change and are not complaining implies that the change has given satisfactory results to such fitness conscious people. Probably such customers did not ask for margarine prior to the change because they were sure of it’s non-availability in the restaurants. And the recent availability has made them satisfied in terms of health ,consequently, they do not complain.
Hence the assumptions made by the author do not suffice to estimate that people are not aware of the differences .
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|3 weeks 2 days ago||Yann||45||Read full essay|
|1 month 10 hours ago||Apollo100||50||Read full essay|
|1 month 1 day ago||smithsonite79||72.5||Read full essay|
|1 month 1 week ago||seonjungkim||60||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||bmartinurcelay||60||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||FaylEAVE0920||58||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||p30kh40||40||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||sushil koirala||50||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||Nico Lingga||60||Read full essay|
|1 month 3 weeks ago||Saudamini Ghatge||71||Read full essay|
- "To reverse a decline in listener numbers, our owners have decided that WWAC must change from its current rock-music format. The decline has occurred despite population growth in our listening area, but that growth has resulted mainly from people moving h (30)
- In surveys Mason City residents rank water sports (swimming, boating, and fishing) among their favorite recreational activities. The Mason River flowing through the city is rarely used for these pursuits, however, and the city park department devotes litt (20)
- Some people believe that college students should consider only their own talents and interests when choosing a field of study. Others believe that college students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field. (80)
- Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little impact on our customers. In fact, only about 2 percent of customers have complained, indicat (10)
- Governments should focus on solving the immediate problems of today rather than on trying to solve the anticipated problems of the future. (70)
- Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than (40)
- Governments should offer a free university education to any student who has been admitted to a university but who cannot afford the tuition. (40)
- Nature's Way, a chain of stores selling health food and other health-related products, is opening its next franchise in the town of Plainsville. The store should prove to be very successful: Nature's Way franchises tend to be most profitable in areas wher (40)