Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than

Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than by their own biological parents. Recently another anthropologist, Dr. Karp, visited the group of islands that includes Tertia and used the interview-centered method to study child-rearing practices. In the interviews that Dr. Karp conducted with children living in this group of islands, the children spent much more time talking about their biological parents than about other adults in the village. Dr. Karp decided that Dr. Field's conclusion about Tertian village culture must be invalid. Some anthropologists recommend that to obtain accurate information on Tertian child-rearing practices, future research on the subject should be conducted via the interview-centered method.

The argument presented by the author does not give cogent reasons to bolster it. Firstly, the comparison that has been made stands obsolete because twenty years is a very huge time difference. Therefore,with time and evolution of a generation, child-rearing practices are bound to change. It is not necessary that methodology adopted twenty years ago will be relevant even in the recent time. So the conclusion and results obtained will obviously have no relation to each other and it cannot be concluded as to which one is right and holds validity.

Secondly,when the author took Dr.Field’s work into consideration, he did not present ample statistical data to enrich his validated points.It is said that using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, Dr.Field concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than by their own biological parents. This does not suffice to generalize the child-rearing practices. It is quite possible ,that the observations made were only restricted to a very small number of children and not the whole percentage of children that constituted the Tertian population.

Thirdly, it is also possible that twenty years ago, the work lifestyle of “some” parents was extremely busy relative to the work lifestyle of parents today. Hence, the children depended equally on the other village people for their upbringing. Thus, improving relations among-st all the village people.However, the pattern was limited to a few families and this does not make these children less dependent or attached to their biological families.

Also, there is a possibility that the children who were observed twenty years ago, were orphans and had no familial ties. Probably,the village people took up the responsibility of raising these kids,as island areas are prone to natural calamities leading to a loss of lives of many inhabitants.

As far as Dr.Karp's study is concerned , he concluded that the children spent much more time talking about their biological parents than about other adults in the village. This was a result obtained on the basis of interview-based approach conducted be him. However, the approach does not hold enough precision to regard it’s conclusion as completely accurate. A verbal conversation with the village people will always yield to ambiguous results.Just on the basis of an interview ,it cannot be concluded that the children depend solely on their biological parents because, they spent more time talking about them. Hence, an interview is not just one criteria to determine the child-rearing practices in Tertia in the present time.

Since both the methodologies contradict each other completely and have been implemented in different time domains therefore, they can have many flaws. Definitely, a future research needs to be done but, by adopting methodologies other than these two.

You can only argue against Dr.Karp's study.

read a sample:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-essays/gre-argumentthe-following-appeare…