49. Claim: We can usually learn much more from people whose views we share than from those whose views contradict our own.
Reason: Disagreement can cause stress and inhibit learning.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reasons on which that claim is based.
It is true that debating may cause mental stress and even conflict while disagree each other. If everyone agrees and conforms on one thing, what is going to happen in the world? Of course, it would be easy to rule the society and the world. But Is it right way to go? Without conflicting and debating, I believe there would no way to improve the society and the world.
Because we challenge ideas, we are able to discover and learn important things. Historically, there has been many hypothesis and theories discarded that we thought so true with no doubt. For instance, people thought the Earth has a flat surface in the past. In 5 BC, Pythagoras came out with different and ridiculous claim that the Earth is round like a ball. Eventually, he was right about the shape of the Earth. If we only disagreed what he had to say and ignored it, we would never know significantly important fact about the Earth. Furthermore, what if Columbus did not believe that the Earth is round? He was never able to explore the America continent. In this regards, contradicting views actually give you more opportunity to explore and learn rather than inhibit learning.
While we only learn and support the views that we share, the other side of views also rises by finding fallacies of our views. Adam Smith believed in invisible hands that solve every problem in the market. Many people and government followed and worship about Capitalism “All might is the money. However, there were people who looked at the relationship between labor and bourgeois. They asked themselves, “Why are there poor workers, and rich bourgeois?” If there was no listening and learning from Communism, there would not be the world like today which governments provide welfare to the poor, and implement the private property systems.
Of course, the life must be easier everyone agree on everything. Since each individual have different personality and lifestyles, basically, it is impossible that we only learn from people we share the same views. Friends, teachers, and even, parents sometimes have different views on certain things in everyday life. One of the aspects we differ from other animals is that we think reasonably and accept the differences. For the improvement human being, I believe that disagreement comes at first as an stress and pressure, but it directs us improvement and advances at the end.
Some people simply do not like to debate or conflict because they do not want worsen the relationship with which they care and it is very comfortable to be with. However, it is impossible to only deal with people who share the same views, and it delays improvement of my ideas and cannot go beyond them. Thus, I strongly believe that every opinions or views should be considered even though it conflicts with our own despite of stress because it can compensate you more.
- 27. In any field of inquiry, the beginner is more likely than the expert to make important contributions.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you tak 96
- 2 The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual s levels of stimulation The study showed that in stimulating situ 68
- 53. If a goal is worthy, then any means taken to attain it are justifiable.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supportin 90
- 125. Some people claim that a nation's government should preserve its wilderness areas in their natural state. Others argue that these areas should be developed for potential economic gain.Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely alig 90
- 60 The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice for a client Most homes in the northeastern United States where winters are typically cold have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating Last heating season that r 91
Sentence: Of course, the life must be easier everyone agree on everything.
Description: The fragment everyone agree on is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace agree with verb, past tense
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 4.5 out of 6
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 1 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 28 15
No. of Words: 485 350
No. of Characters: 2301 1500
No. of Different Words: 253 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.693 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.744 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.528 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 143 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 113 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 74 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 50 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 17.321 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 6.431 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.571 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.249 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.459 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.154 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5