All college and university students would benefit from spending at least one semester studying in a foreign country

Students are our nation`s future. Someday they will hold leadership positions in politics and industry. Therefore, their education is crucial. In this regard some would argue that students would benefit from spending one semester abroad during their studies, while others would state that this stay abroad is not necessary. After weighing the evidence, it is clear that experiences made in different cultural settings are always helpful.

Students who decide not to spend a semester in a foreign country often argue that a stay abroad is useless and consumes valuable time. Especially, students who plan to work the rest of their lives in their home country often see no sense in going abroad during their studies. In contrast to this argument, still everybody would benefit from spending at least one semester abroad. It offers insights about different cultures and therefore enhances understanding between cultures and strengthens cooperation. Especially due to the fact that the world is getting more and more globalized intercultural experiences become more important as well.

Other benefits of staying abroad are to enhance language skills and experience different learning environments. For instance, I spent two semesters in Stockholm. Before I went there my Swedish was really bad. Spending only one year in Sweden helped me to bring my Swedish on a new level. Today I am fluent in it. This clearly shows that staying abroad enhances language skills. However, not only my Swedish improved, but also the understanding of my field of study. The curriculum in Sweden was far more research oriented than in my home country. It allowed me to acquire research skills which are extremely helpful for the rest of my time at university.

Moreover, staying abroad helps to become more independent. Only if students are pushed out of their comfort zone they are able to develop. Without best friends and family around they have to adjust to a complete new environment. This experience is extremely useful and often helps students to develop a complete new view on many things. The first step to self knowledge is rejection of the familiar.

Ultimately, after considering both sides of the issue, it is clear that a stay abroad is a valuable experience. It allows students to learn new languages and offers unique experiences. Everybody would benefit from that.