The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend.
"Of the two leading real estate firms in our town—Adams Realty and Fitch Realty—Adams Realty is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents; in contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work only part-time. Moreover, Adams' revenue last year was twice as high as that of Fitch and included home sales that averaged $168,000, compared to Fitch's $144,000. Homes listed with Adams sell faster as well: ten years ago I listed my home with Fitch, and it took more than four months to sell; last year, when I sold another home, I listed it with Adams, and it took only one month. Thus, if you want to sell your home quickly and at a good price, you should use Adams Realty."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
Based on some statistics and personal experience, a homeowner advised his friend to use Adams Realty to sell his house faster and more profitable. However, his assumptions is still rife with holes that not reliable enough to ensure the judiciousness of this advice.
At first, the writer mentioned the quantity of real estate agents of two leading real estate firms in his town as a criterion to evaluate their competence. He emphasized that Fitch has less agents than Adams and less office hours of those agents. Nonetheless, that number cannot be a steady ground to appraise their effectiveness. ...
- Nowadays, food has become easier to prepare. Has this change improved the way people live? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. 73
- Two years ago, radio station WCQP in Rockville decided to increase the number of call-in advice programs that it broadcast; since that time, its share of the radio audience in the Rockville listening area has increased significantly. Given WCQP's recent s 90
- The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition 75
- Personal statement for MSc.Finance in Rennes 1, France. 98
- The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend."Of the two leading real estate firms in our town—Adams Realty and Fitch Realty—Adams Realty is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents; in contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work 60
Argument 1 -- OK
Argument 2 -- OK
Argument 3 -- OK
It is on top list:
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.5 out of 6
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 22 15
No. of Words: 488 350
No. of Characters: 2418 1500
No. of Different Words: 232 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.7 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.955 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.453 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 175 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 114 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 80 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 50 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 22.182 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 9.148 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.773 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.299 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.515 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.087 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5