The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend."Of the two leading real estate firms in our town—Adams Realty and Fitch Realty—Adams Realty is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents; in contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work

Essay topics: The following appeared in a letter from a homeowner to a friend.

"Of the two leading real estate firms in our town—Adams Realty and Fitch Realty—Adams Realty is clearly superior. Adams has 40 real estate agents; in contrast, Fitch has 25, many of whom work only part-time. Moreover, Adams' revenue last year was twice as high as that of Fitch and included home sales that averaged $168,000, compared to Fitch's $144,000. Homes listed with Adams sell faster as well: ten years ago I listed my home with Fitch, and it took more than four months to sell; last year, when I sold another home, I listed it with Adams, and it took only one month. Thus, if you want to sell your home quickly and at a good price, you should use Adams Realty."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

aschocolate's picture

Based on some statistics and personal experience, a homeowner advised his friend to use Adams Realty to sell his house faster and more profitable. However, his assumptions is still rife with holes that not reliable enough to ensure the judiciousness of this advice.

At first, the writer mentioned the quantity of real estate agents of two leading real estate firms in his town as a criterion to evaluate their competence. He emphasized that Fitch has less agents than Adams and less office hours of those agents. Nonetheless, that number cannot be a steady ground to appraise their effectiveness. Even with less quantity and working time, Fitch's agents are probably more versatile, clear - headed ...

Note: Only testbig VIP readers can access the full content of this essay.

Subscribe now as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.