The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing."During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour shorter than

The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing.

"During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour shorter than ours. Experts say that significant contributing factors in many on-the-job accidents are fatigue and sleep deprivation among workers. Therefore, to reduce the number of on-the-job accidents at Quiot and thereby increase productivity, we should shorten each of our three work shifts by one hour so that employees will get adequate amounts of sleep."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

Vice president of Quiot Manufactoring asserted to decrease on hour of each three shifts to decrease the number of on- the- job accidents and so increase productivity. Since, their on- the job accidents had been 30% greater than the nearby Panoply Industries and fatigue and sleep deprivation are contributing factors in many accidents. However, there are lots of ambiguious point in his memo, I can not acclaim his assertion.

First of all, he adversely compared the number of accidents. Since there is no information about each industry's workers his argument is not soundly clear. If the number of workers in two industries are different, then number of accidents is not comparable. To compare safety of two companies it is better to study the number of on- the- job accidents per worker. With this, it's possible that the Quiot Manufacturing is much safer than Panoply.

Furthermore, writer assumed that just fatigue and sleep deprivation cause accidents but as written in the text, there are other factors who contribute in accidents. The condition of equipment is another important factor which makes accident. If the equipments don't work good they would make problems. Also, using cellphone and not using safety hats can contribute in on-the-job accidents too. With just considering these simple things, there are no need to reduce shift hours.

However, even if the vice president's assumption about fatigue and sleep deprivation is correct, there is no evidence to assert that decreasing work hours will attenuate fatigue and increase sleep time. Because if the workers work less they may use their leisure time on other activities like playing physical games and watching TV rather than sleeping, that will make them more tired.

Finally, he adversely claimed that decreasing the shift hours which would decrease the number of on-the-job accidents, would increase productivity. But there is no evidence that productivity commensurates with on- the-job accidents. Also, shortening the shift hours is more likely to decrease the productivity rather than increase it because always in companies rate of productivity per hour is constant.

To sum up, the vice president of Quiot Manufacturing neglected the effect of workers number and other contributing factors than sleep deprivation and fatigue, and just with comparing the number of on-the- job accidents and shift hours of their company to Panoply industry's asserted that they should shorten the shift hours and adversely concluded increase of Quiot's productivity.

Sentence: However, there are lots of ambiguious point in his memo, I can not acclaim his assertion.
Error: ambiguious Suggestion: ambiguous