The following appeared in a memorandum from the planning department of an electric power company. "Several recent surveys indicate that home owners are increasingly eager to conserve energy. At the same time, manufacturers are now marketing many home appl

The following appeared in a memorandum from the planning department of an electric power company. "Several recent surveys indicate that home owners are increasingly eager to conserve energy. At the same time, manufacturers are now marketing many home appliances, such as refrigerators and air conditioners, that are almost twice as energy efficient as those sold a decade ago. Also, new technologies for better home insulation and passive solar heating are readily available to reduce the energy needed for home heating. Therefore, the total demand for electricity in our area will not increase—and may decline slightly. Since our three electric generating plants in operation for the past twenty years have always met our needs, construction of new generating plants will not be necessary."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

In the given passage a planning report from the department of an electric power company has presented. According to the surveys people are more aware of conservation of electricity. Home appliances manufacturers are producing energy efficient refrigerators and air conditioners which also tends to decrease the energy consumption. Because of the availability of renewable sources of energy, it further provides the alternate sources of the electricity. Based on all these facts planning department has assumed that electricity demand in the city will not increase and there is no need of establishing new electricity generating plants.

Firstly it is stated that citizens are more aware of conservation of energy but the evidence for this statement is not provided. The statistics of consumption of energy in the previous, and energy utilization after the initialization of energy conservation techniques should be mentioned in order to make the argument more stronger and justifiable. According to the manufacturers claim their new home appliances are twice as energy efficient as the previous one. But we cannot rely on these claims. Generally these are the marketing policies to claim their products best and energy efficient but in origin this may not be completely true.

Some new technologies are available such as better home insulation and passive solar heating, which will further reduce the consumption of energy. But these technologies have limited applications such as heating and insulation. And depending upon these limited available technologies planning committee has assumed that electricity demand in city will decline in future. It may possible that in some applications these new technologies will reduce the energy consumption but here question arises that what about other applications?

In this technological era, several new technological are coming which are making our day to lifer more easier and comfortable. More communication techniques like computers , mobiles , internet are attracting people, which all needs electricity for their operation. So it would have been possible that energy consumption will proliferate and author's assumption of declination of demand of electricity seems to be untrustworthy.

At the end, planning committee has decided that as the existing power stations are fulfilling the electricity needs , there is no need of new generation plants. Here their vision seems to be too narrow and they are considering inadequate facts and statistics for this kind of decision. So more statistics and evidence of the energy consumption of the city should be provided. The planning committee has to enhance their vision and should consider all the factors related with energy consumption in order to decide the strategies.

Sentence: It may possible that in some applications these new technologies will reduce the energy consumption but here question arises that what about other applications?
Description: A modal auxillary is not usually followed by an adjective
Suggestion: Refer to may and possible