"The following appeared in a newsletter offering advice to investors:
"Techcorporation is our top pick for investment this term. We urge all of our clients to invest in this new company. For the first time in ten years, a company that has developed satellite technology has been approved by the FTA to compete with the current satellite provider. That company is Techcorporation. A consumer survey last year indicated that over 80 percent of respondents were dissatisfied with the current satellite provider & would want to switch to another provider if the industry were not a monopoly. Thus, the new venture of Techcorporation into satellite television will prove to be highly profitable for those who invest now."" -
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the advice & the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the advice.
The argument presented here makes a few basic faults while making assumptions while devising the argument. These faults are detrimental to the overall effect of the argument.
Firstly, the author's blatant support of Techcorporation is based on the fact that its a new entry into the market of satellite technology development in a considerable length of time and is hence breaking the monopoly. This is no basis for declaring that Techcorporation will necessarily be more, or as successful as, the current leader in that market. Just because its breaking the monopoly, it doesn't mean that it ...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- "The following appeared in a memo from the Mayor of the city of Hillville:"In order to alleviate the serious unemployment problem in our town, we should encourage Autotech to build its automobile manufacturing plant in our area. The Hillville landfill, wh 95
- “Health care in the United States should be free for all citizens, fully financed by the government.” Write an essay in which you take a position on the statement above. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the sta 80
- "Sports stars & movie stars have an obligation to behave as role models for the young people who look up to them. In return for the millions of dollars that they are paid, we should expect them to fulfill this societal responsibility." - Write a response 95
- "The following appears in a brochure for Cold Cone Creamery franchisees: "Open your own Cold cone creamery franchise and start down the road to financial independence. Are you tired of working long hours at low pay? Join the ranks of successful business o 90
- "Some people believe that increasing violence in the media is the cause of increasing violence in our society, especially among children. Others believe that children's peer groups and parental role models are a much more powerful influence on children's 90
Sentence: Instead of giving such erroneous advice, the author should have analysed his assumptions & logic while making the argument.
Error: analysed Suggestion: analyzed
No. of Words: 602 350 (write the essay in half an hour)
It is on top list:
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.5 out of 6
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 1 2
No. of Sentences: 20 15
No. of Words: 602 350
No. of Characters: 3052 1500
No. of Different Words: 250 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.953 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.07 4.6
Word Length SD: 3.033 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 222 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 167 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 125 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 82 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 30.1 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 13.594 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.8 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.33 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.564 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.131 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5
Thanks for your review! n yes,i am having some problems maintaining the time limit. Hope my brainstorming on exam day will be a bit fast.