The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station.
"Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this time period, most of the complaints received from viewers were concerned with our station's coverage of weather and local news. In addition, local businesses that used to advertise during our late-night news program have just canceled their advertising contracts with us. Therefore, in order to attract more viewers to the program and to avoid losing any further advertising revenues, we should restore the time devoted to weather and local news to its former level."
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.
In this memorandum, a bold statement regarding the scheduling of a news program is made, based on claims that don't necessarily need to be justified. Let us take a closer look at these claims and find the missing pieces of information that might weaken or strengthen the managers audacious conclusion.
To begin with, the business manager states that during the past year, most complaints received from viewers were concerned with the coverage of the weather and local news. There has however never been any mentioning what exactly these complaints were. It might just be that people who watch the ...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- We venerate loyalty to our schools employers institutions friends as a virtue Loyalty however can be at least as detrimental an influence as it can be a beneficial one85
- **"Nations should suspend government funding for the arts when significant numbers of their citizens are hungry or unemployed."**Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reaso80
- The following appeared as part of an article in a business magazine. - "A recent study rating 300 male and female advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep the ex85
- "In order for any work of art—for example, a film, a novel, a poem, or a song—to have merit, it must be understandable to most people." - Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your r67
- The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice to a client. - "Homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating. Last year that region experi75
Sentence: Or their might be a new weather anchor that the people don't quite like resulting in these complaints.
Description: A determiner, possessive is not usually followed by a modal auxillary
Suggestion: Refer to their and might
Sentence: If all evidince justifies the claims made, the conclusion made by the business manager to restore the time devoted to weather and local news will prover to be warranted.
Error: evidince Suggestion: evidence
It is on top list:
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.5 out of 6
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 1 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 1 2
No. of Sentences: 22 15
No. of Words: 530 350
No. of Characters: 2644 1500
No. of Different Words: 239 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.798 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.989 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.666 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 184 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 150 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 106 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 72 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 24.091 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 9.676 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.591 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.306 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.512 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.091 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5