Over the past year our late night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news During this time period most of the complaints received from viewers were concerned with our station s coverage of local and

A business manager claim that the decrease of advertising revenues is because of the decrease in the amount of weather and local news. Increase the amount of local news and weather report can increase the number of viewers of the late night news program. But in order to agree with his/her claim and make this casuality be true, we needs to know the number of complaint, the identity of the people of complaints, the social economic situation, and the price of late-night news advertising.

First, how many complaint about the decreasing time of local news and weather report? In the business manager claim, he/she didn't mention total number or the actual of complaints. If there are only ten complaints about the issue, it is not representable number. It is hard to say that the increased time of national news will largerly affect the number of viewers of the program.

Second, who are the people complaints about the issue? Most of younger genderations and people who use internet are able to get their weather information and local news through internet and their smartphone. Television is not their primary source to get those information. And they are the people actually have more purchasing power whom the local businesses actually want to sale products to them. If the content of the late night news changed to more focusing on local news and weather, we may lost those high purchasing power viewers. It may make the advertising revenues decrease.

Third, the decrease of the advertising contracts with the television station may be due to the depression or economic crisis in local. The local businesses may have less extra money to do advertising in order to keep their companies. Moreover, it could be the price of late-night news program is too high for them. They canceled late-night advertising contracts doesn't mean that they cancel the morning, afternoon advertising contracts. They may want to keep advertising in the TV station.

Thus, the business manager claim's is not certain. There are lots of factors which lead to the decrease of revenue, such as the identity of the complainers, the economic situation of local business. To change the situation, the marketing department should think of adjusting the price of the advertiment.