A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of families in Bay City are two-income families, and a nationwide study has shown that such families eat significantly fewer home-cooked meals than they did a decade ago but at the same time express more concern about healthful eating. Therefore, the new Captain Seafood restaurant that specializes in seafood should be quite popular and profitable.
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be addressed in order to decide whether the conclusion and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to the questions would help to evaluate the conclusion.
In the preceding statement, the author claims that increasing seafood demand and the inexisting present supply would make the opening of a seafood specialized restaurant very profitable. While it may be true that filling this market gap would be a sharp move, the author presents a poorly reasoned argument, based on several questionable premises and assumptions. Therefore, based solely on the evidence the author offers, we cannot accept this argument as valid.
The primary issue with the author’s reasoning lies in his unsubstantaited premises. The author’s these is that seafood dishes are...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- The following opinion was provided in a letter to the editor of a national aeronautics magazine:“Manned space flight is costly and dangerous. Moreover, the recent success of a series of unmanned space probes and satellites has demonstrated that a great de 55
- TOEFL integrated writing: The sea otter 83
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Young people enjoy life more than older people do. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. 90
- TOEFL integrated writing: work a four-day week. 70
- The following appeared in a memo to the board of directors of a company that specializes in the delivery of heating oil."Most homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for he 53
Sentence: He supposses that families considere seafood as a healthy meal.
Error: supposses Suggestion: supposes
Error: considere Suggestion: consider
Sentence: Pioneer restaurants are always well concieved, as they offer new and different alternatives.
Error: concieved Suggestion: conceived
Sentence: If the author truly hopes to prove that the new restaurant could be popular among the Bay City's population, he would have to restructure his argument, fix his flaws in his logic, clearly explicate his assumptions and provide evidentiary support.
Error: evidentiary Suggestion: No alternate word
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.0 out of 6
Category: Very Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 4 2
No. of Sentences: 25 15
No. of Words: 452 350
No. of Characters: 2382 1500
No. of Different Words: 229 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.611 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.27 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.745 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 188 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 140 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 95 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 57 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 18.08 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 8.877 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.6 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.298 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.467 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.104 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5