Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely to benefit the greatest number of people

Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely to benefit the greatest number of people.

Scientist or researchers focuses their respective research areas with certain goal. Outcome of that may or may not be in fevour of mass people. In my view, scientist should not define their goal keeping great number of people in mind.

Firstly, research in any area, demands no restrictions over their outcome and resources. Spontaniality is the biggest thing that each scientist has to take are of. Number of trial and errors finally lead to fruit-full result, so it is beneficial to do not keep any restriction over area of research for scientists. Take an example of Edison, he invented number of things that eventually helped greatest number of people on the planet earth. But if ever any social restrictions on him by people of that time, may have spoiled Edisons' aspiration for research.

Secondly, some times unexpected result of experiments may lead to important inventions/discoveries. We all know how X-ray has invented accidently, and now the same X-ray is useful to millions of people for medical treatment. On the other hand, there is example of rocket. Basically rocket has invented for missile purpose, for effective war time weapon. But today, same rocket science is used for sending artificial satellite in earth's orbit for communication, which indeed is a great advancement in the field of communication. Also same rocket-science is used for astronauts, who travels to the space. So point here to explain is, looking at history, we can understand that number of great inventions are mainly invented for other purposes than what we are using it today.

But, I do agree partially with given statement. For that lets take an example from clinical-health field, where research should be done for Cancer, AIDS like non curable diseases. Because of such diseases lots of people currently loosing their lives. So direct focus can help scientists to come up with solutions, which can save life of millions.

So in the end, according to me, we ideally should not force any researcher to follow a path that likely to benefit greatest number of people. But certain cases, which demands urgent attention, should be focused first.

Sentence: Scientist or researchers focuses their respective research areas with certain goal.
Description: The fragment researchers focuses their is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace focuses with verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive

More words if possible.