The surface of a section of Route 101 paved just two years ago by Good Intentions Roadways is now badly cracked with a number of dangerous potholes In another part of the state a section of Route 40 paved by Appian Roadways more than four years ago is sti

"The surface of a section of Route 101, paved just two years ago by Good Intentions Roadways, is now badly cracked with a number of dangerous potholes. In another part of the state, a section of Route 40, paved by Appian Roadways more than four years ago, is still in good condition. In a demonstration of their continuing commitment to quality, Appian Roadways recently purchased state-of-the-art paving machinery and hired a new quality-control manager. Therefore, I recommend hiring Appian Roadways to construct the access roads for all our new shopping malls. I predict that our Appian access roads will not have to be repaired for at least four years."
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The assumption of the vice president of a company that builds shopping malls around the country written in his memo about assigning the construction to all access roads for all the new shopping malls to Appian roadways sound illogically convincing for several reasons. The Vice president ignored important information and some questions needed to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted results.

The first important needed to be asked if the two roads are identical in technical features and surrounding conditions. The Vice president assumed the two roads are identical and compared to each other’s, while this is not clarified to accept this assumption. Route 101 build by Good Intentions Roadways could be built in an industrial area where it is specialized for heavy vehicles and trucks. This could be the main reason behind the dangerous potholes it contains. While Route 40 paved by Appian Roadways could be a narrow one in a new city or a low populated neighborhood where only used by regular cars. Therefore the comparison is unfair and not logic.

Secondly, what are the natural conditions and circumstances surrounding the two routes? This is a very important question that must have been addressed and needed to be answered. Route 101 might be constructed near an agricultural land, or in an area where it rains heavily and subjected to lots of storms or maybe hurricanes, while route 40 in a quite area where the rain and number of storms is not that big that would affect it.

Third, what are the specifications of the state of the art paving machinery? This is an important question because there is no guarantee that this machinery will qualify Appian roadways to be the one responsible for constructing the access roads to all the shopping malls in the area. In addition we do not have information regarding the paving machinery that was used by Good Intentions roadways for route 101, it could have been the same one and other factors led to the potholes found. Therefore this assumption has a flaw and not reasonable, because this machinery will not be the guarantee for the quality of the new roads.

Forth, what are the qualifications and previous experience of the new quality control manager that is hired? There is no enough information regarding his previous work experience that would qualify him to be one of the main reasons behind the success of constructing all the new roads by Appian roadways. He could have been working in different field, or maybe he was hired because of his achievements and development in the managerial part of the company not the technical section. Therefore hiring him will not be directly related to the success of building the new roads. Also he did not mention the achievements of Appian roadways other than Route 40. He did not mention number of machinery and total number of assets and employees that will enable the company to handle a big project as assigning all access roads to shopping malls. Maybe this route was its only achievement.

To sum up, the vice president ignored important questions and information that resulted in a weak argument that sounds illogically convincing. To make a recommendation regarding an important project as assigning all roads to one company as Appian roadways should be backed up with a very precise feasibility study that have a good comparison between the two routes and the two companies in all aspects and addressing all the questions that enables him to give that recommendation and proves one deserves a big important project like this one.

For issue essays, around 450+ words, for argument essays, around 400+ words. The second argument can be removed.