We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because it is known for its wide selection of books on all subjects. Clearly, opening the

We recommend that Monarch Books open a café in its store. Monarch, having been in business at the same location for more than twenty years, has a large customer base because it is known for its wide selection of books on all subjects. Clearly, opening the café would attract more customers. Space could be made for the café by discontinuing the children's book section, which will probably become less popular given that the most recent national census indicated a significant decline in the percentage of the population under age ten. Opening a café will allow Monarch to attract more customers and better compete with Regal Books, which recently opened its own café."
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation

The author recommends opening a café in Monarch Book store in order to boost the sales. Nevertheless the argument is illogically convincing because he ignored certain important facts. To support the argument the author needs to answer some questions to confirm the validity of his recommendation. Some of the questions could be if the people interested in buying and reading books from Monarch like to drink coffee or not? What was the percentage of increase in sales in Regal book store that boosted the business after opening the café? What is the percentage of decrease in number of population under 10 that leads to discontinuing the children’s book section by using its space as a café?

First, the author needed to know the type of customers who come to Monarch book store and if they like drinking coffee while reading books or not because this assumption might have counterproductive consequences. Maybe opening a café attracts different kinds of customers who come only to drink coffee and will not buy or read books. The atmosphere will be very noisy which will decrease the number of actual customers of Monarch who come to buy and read books. Therefore this will affect the business negatively and decrease the sales instead of increasing it. In addition to an important survey must be done according to the price of books, it might be the expensive prices which need to be lower instead of making coffee which could be with insipid taste that will also decrease the number of customers.

Secondly, the author is trying to benchmark Regal book store experience by making a café inside the book store. An important question should have been addressed before taking the decision, what is the percent of increase in sales at Regal book store before and after the new café. The survey should be done at least 2 years before and 2 years after to validate the results. The survey should also have questions about the new café. Regal could have increased its sales because of the experienced staff they have not the newly opened café.

Last but not least, the author did not mention convincing reasons for discontinuing the children book section. They could have made a strong survey with the number of children less and more than 10 years old, taking into consideration that after 3 or for years toddlers will grow to be 10 years old. In addition to the type of books these children like reading, to illustrate video games books and books about space may attract kids aging 10 or more. Therefore it will not be logic to discontinue selling their books as they will go and buy it from elsewhere.

Finally, the author should have provided answers for all questions that weaken the argument in order to make it stronger. He ignored some important information that made the argument unsound. Therefore I do not agree with his recommendation to discontinue selling children books and use the space for a café to increase the sales.

Argument 1: OK

Argument 2: OK

Argument 3: NOT REALLY.

'decline in the percentage of the population under age ten. ' doesn't mean the books for children under age ten will decline too.