Essay topics: In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.
In asserting that without past achievements within a field, it is impossible to make a significant contribution in the field, the author of the argument failed to acknowledge other diverse issues – fields of endeavor that have been untouched by the humankind – besides fields that include some past achievements that could influence the individual or individuals in the certain field. Nevertheless, I agree with the statement to the extent that past achievements can help as a motive to drive the individual to success, but it is not necessarily impossible to have a breakthrough without them. In other cases, as will be elucidated in the points below it will not be so.
Firstly, it is acceptable as a fact that past achievements in any field can work as incentives for the future generations. Take for example the ideology of the majority of people before the 1960s, regarding being able to complete a one-kilometer run in less than one minute. Unless for the pioneer runner who broke the record of 1 kilometer and ran less than one minute, the people of nowadays would have still believed that it is implausible to complete such a task. After that event, more than two thousand people were able to complete the run in less than one minute, including high school students. As a result, it can be seen that the ideology has changed. Just like the old saying “If someone could do it before, you can do it too”. Not only does the past achievements help individuals to find a motivation for their ride, but also aid them as a guide.
However, with these examples, it could be argued that for a major contribution, in any field, past achievements is mandatory. But when viewed holistically it is not so. Simply put, without any prior success in a certain field, the job of the individual to gain profound success is hard, but not out of reach. Take for instance Thomas Edison, the first scientist who invented the light bulb. Not being able to rely on prior achievements to build his incentives, Edison had to rely on his strong self-belief for finding a suitable compound that can be used as the string. To elaborate on, one can do whatever he/she wants just by believing in oneself. The more a humankind fails, the more he is determined to try more for success. In addition, it is only our cupidity that drives, nothing else.
All in all, contrary to the claim above, one can have a significant contribution in a field whether there have been past achievements or not. Past achievements can help an individual as incentives, but without them, one is still able to have a major breakthrough only by the power of his/her will.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|1 month 23 hours ago||ralfraihat||83||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 days ago||Karena Wong||75||Read full essay|
|3 months 2 weeks ago||pranavkgaur||75||Read full essay|
|4 months 7 hours ago||urvangP||0||Read full essay|
|5 months 2 weeks ago||Pattern||93.25||Read full essay|
|5 months 2 weeks ago||Pattern||83||Read full essay|
|8 months 4 weeks ago||ZhicongLiang||50||Read full essay|
|10 months 1 week ago||Yu Tang||66||Read full essay|
|10 months 1 week ago||Yu Tang||66||Read full essay|
|10 months 1 week ago||Yu Tang||50||Read full essay|
- The following appeared in a memo from the director of student housing at Buckingham College."To serve the housing needs of our students, Buckingham College should build a number of new dormitories. Buckingham's enrollment is growing and, based on current (50)
- In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement (50)
- The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company. According to a recent report by our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen produced movies than in any o (50)
- "The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition."Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disag (62)
- Arctic deer live on islands in Canada's arctic regions. They search for food by moving over ice from island to island during the course of the year. Their habitat is limited to areas warm enough to sustain the plants on which they feed and cold enough, at (58)
- Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.Write a response in which you discuss the e (70)
- The following is a memorandum from the business manager of WLSS television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increasingly more time to covering national news and less time to covering weather and local news. During the s (66)
- a nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you t (54)
- The following appeared in a letter to the editor of theBalmer Island Gazette."On Balmer Island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents involvi (70)
- Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be (50)