To be an effective leader, a public official must maintain the highest ethical and moral standards.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to addre

To be an effective leader, a public official must maintain the highest ethical and moral standards.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Should an effective leader be a representation of high moral and ethical standards? As far as I am concerned it is a wrong question due to the fact that the world of politics is not a right place for a saint person. At this point a tension is obvious: on one hand we cannot elect a criminal or person who conspicuously demonstrates immoral behavior, at the same time, the world of politics demands from a person to be equivocate and even dishonest. Although these characteristics are in conflict with high standards of our society, a leader has to compromise his or her moral standards in order to be efficient in the world of politics.

When we speak about leader's efficiency we have to accept that world of politics does not allow a direct and honest person to be in power for several reasons. First of all, interests of the state should be more important than leader’s desire to be honest in particular when we have a deal with national defense. For instance, if a state is going to bomb a base of terrorist which is located on the territory of a foreign country, should a national leader warn the country about the action of military forces? The answer seems to be glaring. An honest leader must declare about the military action but this action may undermine effectiveness of the action due to the possibility that a terroristic organization may have some accomplices in the government of the friendly state. One more example, after the USA was attacked by a terroristic group, some laws were surreptitiously passed in order to protect the state. However, these laws violate rights and liberties of citizens of the USA. In these exceptional circumstances leaders of the country have to compromise their standards in order to fulfill their responsibilities and be effective leaders. These are only two examples which serve to demonstrate that in some cases it is impossible to maintain high ethical and moral standards by any politician.

Of course one may aver that for instance Mahatma Gandhi, who was a great political leader, were embodiment of high ethical and moral standards, as Orwell wrote in his essay about him, that even enemies of Gandhi has to accept his impeccable reputation. Unfortunately, this person is a unique example which has no repetition in our modern politics. Moreover, we cannot know how the great saint had to compromise his beliefs and standards to participate to the world of politics. His biography reveals that for him it was a difficult choice to do.

In conclusion, the public belief that an effective leader should be an embodiment of the highest moral and ethical standards, cannot survive in the real world of modern politics when even great politicians has to compromise their standards in order to implement their work and be effective.

The examples in the second paragraph are not related to the highest ethical and moral standards.

----------------------