Essay topics: Claim: The surest indicator of a great nation is not the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists.
Reason: The surest indicator of a great nation is actually the welfare of all its people.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.
Which characteristic should a nation possess to be considered as a great one? The answer on this question depends on criteria which we are used to estimate it. Some people profoundly believe that prosperity of country's citizens is the best indicator of greatness. At the same time, an alternative prospect on the issue exists that achievements of nation's politicians, scholars and artists characterize a great nation. As far as I am concerned, a great nation is one which managed to impact on history of the mankind, therefore, achievements of a nation are better markers of greatness of a nation than its economic prosperity.
Today's western societies tend to estimate greatness of a nation in terms of economic achievements such as per capita income and GDP. Although these factors impact on wellbeing of society and its residents, they seem to be too egocentric and parochial. To illustrate an idea, imagine that we try to understand who a great person is. Is Donald Trump a great person due to the fact that he is wealthy and has a high standard of life or we may state that Mahatma Gandhi, whose ideas and thoughts have impacted on the development of western society, is a great person? May we say that one who creates good conditions of his own life is greater than one who devotes his life to others? In the same vein, when we have a deal with nations the most important characteristic of a society is its influence on humankind's history. For instance, may we assert that Greece is not a great nation owing to the fact that today it has struggled from financial crisis? This nation gives us a plethora of philosophers from Aristotle to Plato whose ideas are basis of modern philosophy. Without these pundits the western society would be different. The impact of Greece on mankind is enormous and therefore we cannot case doubt on its greatness. Egypt is another example of great nation which has lost its brightness but nevertheless has greatly impacted on our development.
In conclusion, although many of our contemporaries tend to estimate a greatness of a nation via wellbeing of its citizens, this approach seems to be inadequate and narrow-minded. A great nation is one which has affected mankind and its development. A great nation is one without which the modern civilization would be different.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|2 months 5 hours ago||Roshan Dhakal||66||Read full essay|
|5 months 2 weeks ago||bill1441||66||Read full essay|
|6 months 2 weeks ago||natashasuzu||50||Read full essay|
|7 months 1 week ago||yoonjung1917@gm...||75||Read full essay|
|10 months 3 weeks ago||octa_08||50||Read full essay|
|11 months 2 weeks ago||Gh.Ne||66||Read full essay|
|11 months 2 weeks ago||Gh.Ne||79||Read full essay|
|1 year 3 weeks ago||a734547007||66||Read full essay|
|2 years 5 months ago||urvangP||Read full essay|
|3 years 2 months ago||flowerft2007||66||Read full essay|
- 08/11/2017You recently attended a meeting at a hotel. When you returned home, you found you had left some important papers at the hotel.Write a letter to the manager of the hotel.Say where you think you left the papers.Explain why they are so importantTel (77)
- 08/11/2017Some people think that if a country is already rich any addition in economic wealth does not make its citizens happier. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own kn (79.5)
- 08/11/2017You recently noticed a local restaurant that was offering a part-time job.Write a letter to the restaurant's manager. In your letter,. explain that you would like to apply for the job. give some details of any relevant experience that you have. (79.5)
- 07.11.2017 A family member is coming to stay with you. He/she will be arriving by train in the morning, but you won’t be home until the evening.Write a letter to your relative. In your letter:explain arrangements you have made for them to have keys and (76.5)
- 07/11/2017 Team activities can teach more skills for life than other activities which are played alone. To what extent do you agree or disagree? (77)
- 07/11/2017A family member is coming to stay with you. He/she will be arriving by train in the morning, but you won’t be home until the evening.Write a letter to your relative. In your letter:explain arrangements you have made for them to have keys and g (71.5)
- 05/11/2017Nowadays many people are diagnosed with anorexia what do you think the causes of this are? What can be done to improve the situation? (79.5)
- 05.11.2017You ordered an item on a company website, which should have been delivered the next day, but it never turned up. Write a letter to the manager and say– what was the item– why it was important that you get it immediately– what you suggest t (89.6667)
- 04/11/2017Your neighbours have a dog that is noisy at night. You can’t sleep. Write a letter to your neighbours. In your letter:– describe the problem with the dog– explain why it is important for you to sleep– outline what your neighbours could d (80.5)
- 04/11/2017 Nowadays people usually retire at the age of 60 or 65, but some want to keep working as long as they can. Is this a positive or a negative development? Give you own opinion and relevant examples. (82)