Claim: The surest indicator of a great nation is not the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists.
Reason: The surest indicator of a great nation is actually the welfare of all its people.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.
Which characteristic should a nation possess to be considered as a great one? The answer on this question depends on criteria which we are used to estimate it. Some people profoundly believe that prosperity of country's citizens is the best indicator of greatness. At the same time, an alternative prospect on the issue exists that achievements of nation's politicians, scholars and artists characterize a great nation. As far as I am concerned, a great nation is one which managed to impact on history of the mankind, therefore, achievements of a nation are better markers of greatness of a nation than its economic prosperity.
Today's western societies tend to estimate greatness of a nation in terms of economic achievements such as per capita income and GDP. Although these factors impact on wellbeing of society and its residents, they seem to be too egocentric and parochial. To illustrate an idea, imagine that we try to understand who a great person is. Is Donald Trump a great person due to the fact that he is wealthy and has a high standard of life or we may state that Mahatma Gandhi, whose ideas and thoughts have impacted on the development of western society, is a great person? May we say that one who creates good conditions of his own life is greater than one who devotes his life to others? In the same vein, when we have a deal with nations the most important characteristic of a society is its influence on humankind's history. For instance, may we assert that Greece is not a great nation owing to the fact that today it has struggled from financial crisis? This nation gives us a plethora of philosophers from Aristotle to Plato whose ideas are basis of modern philosophy. Without these pundits the western society would be different. The impact of Greece on mankind is enormous and therefore we cannot case doubt on its greatness. Egypt is another example of great nation which has lost its brightness but nevertheless has greatly impacted on our development.
In conclusion, although many of our contemporaries tend to estimate a greatness of a nation via wellbeing of its citizens, this approach seems to be inadequate and narrow-minded. A great nation is one which has affected mankind and its development. A great nation is one without which the modern civilization would be different.
- Claim: Any piece of information referred to as a fact should be mistrusted, since it may well be proven false in the future.Reason: Much of the information that people assume is factual actually turns out to be inaccurate.Write a response in which you dis 50
- Some people say that the only reason for learning a foreign language is in order to travel to or work in a foreign country. Others say that these are not the only reasons why someone should learn a foreign language.Discuss both these views and give your o 73
- 19.09.2017Universities should accept equal numbers of male and female students in every subject.To what extent do you agree or disagree? 90
- The following is a recommendation from the business manager of Monarch Books."Since its opening in Collegeville twenty years ago, Monarch Books has developed a large customer base due to its reader-friendly atmosphere and wide selection of books on all su 60
- Essay topics: TPO-43 - Independent Writing TaskImagine that you are in a classroom or a meeting. The teacher or the meeting leader says something incorrect In your opinion, which of the following is the best thing to do?-Interrupt and correct the mistake 89
we cannot case doubt on its greatness
we cannot cast doubt on its greatness
Number of Paragraphs: 3 5 //More content wanted in 5 paragraphs.
For issue essays, around 450 words, for argument essays, around 400 words.
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 3.5 out of 6
Category: Satisfactory Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 1 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 19 15
No. of Words: 392 350
No. of Characters: 1889 1500
No. of Different Words: 192 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.45 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.819 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.887 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 142 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 107 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 74 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 51 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 20.632 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 8.412 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.421 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.348 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.447 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.183 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 3 5