"The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition." - Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or dis

All leadership positions or jobs nowadays, in governments as well as private requires people to work together, because work which doesn’t require human to human interaction can in most cases even be handled by a machine. Hence, in current world societies must give precedence to cooperation among their young ones rather than competition. All reasons for not believing so can be refuted.

First, in any field a leader's job is to lead people beneath him. For this to happen, the leader has to be responsible for productivity of each of his or her subordinates, this requires his or her cooperation. For example, in IT companies such as Infosys new employees are divided into groups and assigned projects per group. The managers than observe how collaborative each employee is and assign him or her as project leader, whatever technical background he or she may have.

Another reason for not supporting competition is that competition can create divisions and envy among people, because people would be more concerned with their own performance, this attitude can even lead to hatred among peers. Many colleges in India concentrate on developing a competitive environment, expecting students to perform well in their strive to outperform other peers. But due to negative effects of this approach colleges have started implementing more collaborative events, such as group projects and group presentations which leads to greater interaction among each other and indirectly prepare them for their future endeavors.

Although detractors of this view might argue that, it is because of competition only that people work assiduously. After all it is the human nature to gain happiness by outperforming others. But on long run such an approach can impair a person's capability to work together, and inhibit his or her desire for a leadership role in future.

Ultimately, a leader’s responsibility demands excessive interaction among his or her followers, and if a society desires their young ones to be leaders of future then encouraging cooperation is of utmost importance.

All leadership positions or jobs nowadays, in governments as well as private requires people to work together
All leadership positions or jobs nowadays, in governments as well as in private sectors require people to work together

perform well in their strive to outperform other peers
perform well in their striving to outperform other peers

such as group projects and group presentations which leads to greater interaction among each other
such as group projects and group presentations which lead to greater interactions among each other

But on long run
But on a long run