Claim: The best test of an argument is its ability to convince someone with an opposing viewpoint.
Reason: Only by being forced to defend an idea against the doubts and contrasting views of others does one really discover the value of that idea.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that claim is based.
An argument is a statement based on reasons and evidence that act to support it. In order to defend an argument, you should construct an insightful line of reasoning to make it sound. I strongly agree with the given claim and reason. I feel this way for the following reasons.
Firstly, if an argument is able to convince someone with a contrasting point of view, it would prove that the reasons and evidence that support the argument are strong enough to cause it. Hence, this is a great form to test the soundness and the persuasive power of the argument. For example, when someone convince a vegan that this kind of diet could be harmful and it is not necessarily healthier based on reliable researches, such as one that utilized a sample comparing identical twins into a vegan and normal diet for twelve weeks. This study proved that veganism could change human body and cause a reduction of muscular mass, sexual appetite and body self-defense or general immunity. Furthermore, causing an increase of tiredness and irritability.
Secondly, when we have to defend an idea against possible flaws and divergent views and we are able to surpass all of it, it shows us the excellent value of that idea. This is because it proves that the idea is plausible. However, if the logic of the argument is invalid or unsound it does not make a cogent case that will convince others. For instance, utilizing the given study we could defend the idea that although veganism could diminish the diabetes risk and cholesterol levels, it would impair and affect the human body negatively based on the reliable results of the study. This shows the value of the argument that vegan diet could be harmful and it is not necessarily healthier.
To sum up, the argument´s ability to convince someone with distinct point of view is the best way to measure its plausibility, since developing reasons and a cogent reasoning to support this view against different ones will prove the great value of this argument.
- 3) Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? A teacher’s ability to relate well with students is more important than excellent knowledge of the subject being taught. 73
- As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take In 79
- Altruism and meerkats' study 3
- Health and wellness is a growing concern for a number of people across the globe Some people believe a well balanced diet and exercise routine is the best way to stay healthy Others suggest that good health has less to do with what you eat and more to do 70
- In surveys Mason City residents rank water sports (swimming, boating and fishing) among their favorite recreational activities. The Mason River flowing through the city is rarely used for these pursuits, however, and the city park department devotes littl 57
Need to argue according to the topics.
Attribute Value Ideal
Final score: ??? out of 6
Category: Poor Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 6 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 6 2
No. of Sentences: 15 15
No. of Words: 342 350
No. of Characters: 1613 1500
No. of Different Words: 162 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.3 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.716 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.517 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 108 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 88 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 62 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 31 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 22.8 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 12.319 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.6 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.324 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.517 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.094 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 4 5