Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.

Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.

Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.

The claim emphasises the need for governments financial support to major cities, in order to preserve the cultural traditions of the past. However I believe, that the goverment may not be justified in doing so because, cities today are sometimes an amalgam of cultures where no unifying cultural traditions seem to exist; also most of our cultural heritage is born in villages and finally the cultural traditions may not necessarily need government's financial support in order to survive.

The claim that governments must support the city's needs financially is based on the assumption that it is the cities that nurture a nation's cultural traditions. However, this assumption is sound because in most of the world nations major cities like New York, London, Dubai etc. we find that the majority of population arrives in these cities with aims of employment. In Dubai for example, one of the biggest hubs of middle east and south east asia today, there is a really high percentage of Indian and Nepalese immigrant population for menial jobs. Therefore, what most of these major cities, represent is an amalgam of cultural identities. There are rarely any unifying cultral traditions that these cities have, or can preserve. Hence, supporting these cities financially for preserving traditions that is rarely evident is unfounded.

Moreover, in most countries, the traditions were historically born from the practices and cultural traditions of native people. In India, the villages are where you can observe the cultural identities clearly. Even within the country, the traditions are different as you move from North to South. The people may dress in Dhoti's in the South but trousers in the North. But if we go to cities, we find that sartorial traditions are deliberately left out, in order to adhere to the employment norms of the offices. In same vein, surely you can't expect Scottish kilts in London ! It is because these cultural traditions are generally adhered to, in rustic surroundings away from the hustle and bustle of urbane cities where people go to find employment and a different way of life. Hence, in order to preserve the cultural traditions, I will argue that the governments should divert these financial resources to villages and small towns where the cultrual traditions actually originate.

However, the claim may be right in certain specific cases. For example, some cities have been known for specific traditions in the modern sense. The Jazz music if we look back into hsitory, started after confluence of Western and Afro American music in the now big city of New Orleans. This cultural heritage has been maintained even today and is fairly evident in the annual Jazz festivals that colour the city with great music. In this case a tradition was born in the city and government may be right in its financing of the city to preserve a cultural heritage that truely belongs to the city.

But, even in this case, the art didn't arrive in the city by government financing in the first place. The art found its way and the small bar music turned into a Musical Jazz movement that we know today. Hence, the art must be allowed to find its place by competing in the free market and by finding its rightful audience. If the art form is good enough, surely it will find a large enough audience to be performed to. Otherwise, the art form will suffer its rightful death. Hence, government financing specifically to preserve cultural traditions may not be prudent because the art throughout our history has survived on its own. This is the way best of the art forms have survived even today and will continue to do so in future as well.

In conclusion, a government's financial intervention may be necessary to ensure that cultural traditions find means to promote themselves, but its not a pre requisite for the culture traditions to survive. In most cases, it is the villages and rustic areas of countries that truely preserve a country's cultural traditions, and hence goverment may be justified in suitable financing the smaller towns and villages in order to preserve the cultural traditions.

Sentence: However I believe, that the goverment may not be justified in doing so because, cities today are sometimes an amalgam of cultures where no unifying cultural traditions seem to exist; also most of our cultural heritage is born in villages and finally the cultural traditions may not necessarily need government's financial support in order to survive.
Error: goverment Suggestion: government

Sentence: There are rarely any unifying cultral traditions that these cities have, or can preserve.
Error: cultral Suggestion: cultural

Sentence: Hence, in order to preserve the cultural traditions, I will argue that the governments should divert these financial resources to villages and small towns where the cultrual traditions actually originate.
Error: cultrual Suggestion: cultural

Sentence: The Jazz music if we look back into hsitory, started after confluence of Western and Afro American music in the now big city of New Orleans.
Error: hsitory Suggestion: history

Sentence: In this case a tradition was born in the city and government may be right in its financing of the city to preserve a cultural heritage that truely belongs to the city.
Error: truely Suggestion: No alternate word

Sentence: In most cases, it is the villages and rustic areas of countries that truely preserve a country's cultural traditions, and hence goverment may be justified in suitable financing the smaller towns and villages in order to preserve the cultural
Error: goverment Suggestion: government

No. of Words: 687 350 //Write the essay in 30 minutes.