Mass media and the internet have caused people’s attention spans to get shorter. However, the overall effect has been positive: while people are less able to focus on one thing, they more than make up for it with an enhanced ability to sort through lar

Mass media and the internet have caused people’s attention spans to get shorter. However, the overall effect has been positive: while people are less able to focus on one thing, they more than make up for it with an enhanced ability to sort through large quantities of information and find what’s important.

In this decade of internet and mass media,there is so much data available that it is almost impossible to focus on one thing for long.This has led to new tasks for human beings to do like filtering relevant data from the huge data that is available.ALthough,the amount of time now being spent on one particular area has decreased but the ability of humans to glean what is relevant has enhanced.

Just a few years back,there were public libraries that were considered the plethora of knowledge and anyone looking forward to focus on a subject would get into the libraries for detailed information on that subject.Here,since the focus area was very limited and any library could house as many books as limited by its physical space,is was almost impossible for the general public to gain access to information beyond the limitations of the library or the newspapers.In this new decade,just a click can enable a person to get as much information as possible about any subject.This has also led to division in attention between things since knowledge on any random thought is just a click away.This new decade of internet and mass media has also opened up the gateways of opportunity for many people.A recent survey indicated that every one out of ten people in rural areas who have access to internet gets a job.This shows the success of the internet era which was just not possible till now.

However,at the same time,this divided attention between things is also creating a negative impact on people since the ability to gain depth on a subject has decreased.The is more breadth of information but less length on a subject.Also,the ability of people to get into the details has decreased.A recent survey showed that a person addicted to using internet checks his/her mail every 3 minutes.

In conclusion,the great deal of information and data that is available around us has enhanced to ability of humans to glean what is relevant for them.It has also opened up new opportunities for them to explore.At the same time,this new arena has decreased the ability to humans to deal with details on any subject.

there were public libraries that were considered the plethora of knowledge
there were public libraries that were considered as the plethora of knowledge

This has also led to division in attention
This has also led to a division in attention

Always put a space after punctuation marks. Essay e-rater is sensitive.

-----------------------