Nations should suspend government funding for the arts when significant numbers of their citizens are hungry or unemployed Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning f

Nations should suspend government funding for the arts when significant numbers of their citizens are hungry or unemployed.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, describe specific circumstances

Should funding of art be prioritized over feeding the nation? Will people prefer beautiful art, sonorous music and beautiful other forms of art to sweet repast? The answer to these questions is based on the need of the individual. Though, no hungry man will choose a beautiful painting over an iota of food, but leaving funding of art till when hunger is totally eradicated is tantamount to not funding art forever because the world has been fighting hunger and unemployment from eons ago. Thus, funding of art is needed for the rapid growth of a society.

Though, art is not the main need of a society, but there are several benefits accrued with government funding of the art. One of such benefits include the job creation. Funding art by the government leads to job creation in the art sector of the society and this in turn, leads to increase in government revenue. For instance, the Canadian Film Industry is heavily subsidized by the Canadian Government and this has led to the massive job opportunity in the industry. Also, the funding of the industry has led to increase in the revenue generated from the film industry.

In addition to the creation of employment and increase in revenue generated that funding of art brings upon a society, the fundamental goal of art in the society must not be neglected. Art helps people to connect with their kismet, feelings, foibles and flaws. Apart from the fact that art beautifies the society, it expresses an one’s thought, makes one more others-oriented and less self-centered, brings about insightful moment when one can reconnect with one’s soul. All these qualities of art – and many more – must not be forgotten as these are part of the qualities needed for a society to thrive.

True, some might contend that prioritization of art over food is impolitic because no form of art will revive a soul dying as a result of hunger. Some might even quibble further by saying funding of art is not different from squandering the public fund. But one need to look to at the positive impact of art on the society. For example, the Canadian Government pays some stipend to American Film Production Company to shoot and produce their movies in Canada. This has led to a tremendous development in the Canadian Film Industry, engender of many jobs in the film industry and accretion of government revenue from the art industry that are diverted into funding of education, creation of jobs in other sectors and further funding of the film industry.

In summary, funding of art is necessary for a society to thrive. The government must not wait until hunger and unemployment is totally quashed before considering funding of art. As one can deduce from the examples above, funding of art leads to creation of jobs, increase in revenue generation for government and further impact of art on the people’s soul. Thus, government, the private sector and the general public should preserve and promote art for the smooth development of the society.