Essay topics: Some people assert that the purpose of politics should be the pursuit of an ideal. Others aver that the goal should be finding common ground and reaching consensus.
Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented.
The two opposing poins of view on the goal of the politics exist in our society. One part of the public believes that a good politician should be able to find a compromise with a rival. At the same time, another part of the people assumes that a politician should adhere to ideals which he or she represent. As far as I am concerned, the ability to find a common ground and arrive at consensus is a valuable facet of a good politician, however, not always a compromise is an option and some ideals should not be used for bargaining in any case.
First of all, consensus is indeed one of the essencial means of moden politics, the Congress of the United States of America is a bright example of this statement. The Congress initially was created in such a way that any individual will not have to much power. Consequently, elected officials have to organize coalitions to pass the laws and get their work done. To illustrate the idea imagine that you are a congressman who wants to pass a law which is desirable by your voters, for example it will prohibit usage of a certain pesticide in argriculture, to pass the law you need to make agreement with other elected officials. A group of people is organized, the basic idea is that I will support your law and you will help to pass my project. This example is an illustration of a consensus in the politics.
However, the consensus is not always possible. For instance, we may return to our example with the Congress. If the law which you want to pass is in conflict with interests of other congressmen they will not support your project. As we said above imagine that you try to pass a law about prohibition of usage of a pesticide, in case in coaltions is a person who was elcted by farmers who use this chemical he will not support the proposal. In other words, if we have a conflict of interests the arriving at the agreement is unlikely.
Moreover, our society has values and liberties such as the freedom of speech, which cannot be objects of bargaining owing to the fact that they are a core of our culture and identity. These values are a cornerstones of our perception of the world and the position from which we speak with the world. American international politics are determined by them. For instance, when we have a deal with the North Korea, the govenment possition is based on understanding that the rival regime violates the rigths of its citizens. Although the making an agreement with the North Korea may be desirable, for instance, we may demand to limit ist development of nuclear weapon, we cannot accept the rigime due to its authotaritarian nature.
In conclusion, the consensus indeed is an efficient and useful tool of politics, it is not a panacea. A consensus is not an option when we have a deal with contradict interests. Moreover, some ideals of our society should not be used for bargaining in any case.
- 19/10/2017 Many people are using credit cards or loans to run up huge personal debts that they may be unable to repay. It should therefore be made more difficult for individuals to borrow large amounts of money. What are your opinion on this?Give reasons (74)
- 18/10/2017 A recent study showed that both developing and developed countries prosper because of the economic growth. People from developing countries are happier than before while people from developed countries are not as happy as they were in the past. (54.5)
- 18/10/2017 A friend has agreed to look after your house and pet while you are on holiday.Write a letter to your friend. In your letter• give contact details for when you are away• give instructions about how to care for your pet• describe other hous (72.5)
- 18/10/2017 These days more emphasis is being placed on university education. Vocational training is not encouraged, and thus there are few qualified trades people. To which extent do you agree or disagree? (82)
- 16/10/2017 You cannot pick your friend up at the airport. Write a letter to him/her. In your letter, you shouldexplain the reasons.You should provide him/her with alternative ways to go to the hotel.You should inform him/her of your plan. (77)
- 16.10.2017Some people think that managers alone should make decisions in the company, while others think that employees should be involved in the decision-making process too. Discuss both views and give your own opinion. (74)
- 11/10/2017Many people prefer to watch foreign films rather than locally produced films. Why could this be?Should governments give more financial support to local film industries? (82)
- 11/10/2017You are going on a short holiday soon and would like to invite a friend to join you. Write a letter to him/her and say– Explain why you need a holiday.– Explain why you want your friend to come.– Where and when do you want to go? (89.5)
- 10/10/2017You recently saw an advertisement about helpers for children summer holiday camp. Write a letter to camp organizers and say:– Describe the areas where you can help.– Give the time period you are available.– Ask some questions about the cam (80.5)
- 09/10/2017Some people say that computer games are bad for children by all means; others believe that these games are contributing to children’s development.Discuss both views and give your own opinion. (89.5)