Some people believe that college students should consider only their own talents and interests when choosing a field of study. Others believe that college students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field.Writ

Some people believe that college students should consider only their own talents and interests when choosing a field of study. Others believe that college students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field.

Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented.

The decision of choosing a field of study for a student who is yet to face the challenges of real world could completely change his life. This is one of the make or break decisions for a student. Whether students should consider only their own talents and interests when choosing a field of study or should they base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field is a debatable topic of discussion. A clear cut stand can only be taken after scrupulous analysis.

It is true that for a person to excel in a field he must do what he really is interested in and not what pleases others. Anybody who is passionate about his work is bound to rise, if not now then later. One name that cannot go unnoticed here is Ms. Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, the CEO of Biocon. She pursued her studies in a field that was completely male dominated during her time in college. She was the only female student in her class. It was her passion for the subject that got her to leading one of the top biotechnology firms in India today. She knew what she wanted to do and she made it possible unmoved by all the hassles that came in her way.

But not all are equally fortunate. There are many born in poor families for who affording even basic necessities is difficult, let alone the high funds for university education. Such students take up a field of study that can get them easy jobs to support their family than choose a field based on their talent and interest. There’s no denying that they must be fully dedicated to the field they choose as any work done with half heart cannot produce good results. But, for these students scope for employment becomes a priority while deciding upon a field of study.

To sum up, it is always the best for college students to choose a field of study based on their own interests and talents but it isn’t practically possible for all. There are cases wherein the conditions don’t favor taking up fancy courses and a student chooses his subjects based on the availability of jobs. What doesn’t change is that he has to put in full dedication in either case.