To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In deve

To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

That one must study the major cities in order to understand the most important qualities of a society is an undeniable fact. Major cities are like a window into the characteristics of a society. Some people agree with the statement; some others, however, disagree with it. In my perspective, I support the statement based on the following reasons.

Admittedly, there are some exceptions to the claim that only the major cities demonstrate the most important characteristics of a society. In order not to overgeneralize, one should consider the possibility that, in some societies, a village or a small city might be the core of the society. Maybe the culture and lifestyle of people are rooted in small cities, where the first generation of a society used to live. Moreover, some may assert that, in order to fully understand the characteristics of a society, one must study the places where the pure and rich culture was started. Therefore, the most important characteristics of a society could be studies impartially and effectively.

However, I still approve the fact that one should study the major cities, since the population is higher in those cities, in which case the sample that is studied would be not only significant in size, but also representative of the larger population. As a result, the finding of such a study, showing the most important characteristics of a society, would be both reliable and valid. In addition, some qualities and characteristics of a society can only be studied in major cities where the population is high. For instance, to study how people communicate with each other in crowded places at desperate times, it is required to study a big crowded city. Hence, major cities, in which a significant number of people live, serve a superior function for study of a society.

Beside the above-mentioned fact, chief developments, including historical, cultural, humanitarian, etc., can only be studied in major cities. Intending to study the characteristics of a society, one should certainly analyze the extent to which the society has been developed in its history; therefore, major cities where most of the developments and historical events had happened are the best choice for this purpose. For instance, in Iran, most of the historical events happened in the major cities such as Tehran and Isfahan, which are the biggest cities in Iran now; and the most important characteristics of our society, in my opinion, are evident in these two cities. Therefore, the developed cities are rich sources to know more about the qualities of a society.

All in all, although some people refute the indisputable fact that major cities should be studied in order to comprehend the principle characteristics of a society, I approve this fact based on the reasons delineated in the body paragraphs. Considering the number of people with the concomitant qualities related to life in crowded places, and the degree to which a society is developed, the major cities should be studied for the purpose of studying the vital characteristics of a society.