The charts below show the proportions of British students at one university in England who were able to speak other languages in addition to English in 2000 and 2010

The graphs illustrate how many British students have the possibility to speak additional languages besides their mother tongue at a university over the years 2000 and 2010.

Overall, less British students were monolingual when the time goes on with Spanish enjoying widespread popularity among pupils.

As regards the first, the highest percentage of students speaking 2 languages including English belonged to Spanish with 30% of students speaking in 2000, which slightly increased by 5% in 2010. Similarly, the number of French speaking experienced a modest improvement with 15% over the year 2010. Moreover, students who become bilinguals, or trilinguals with other given languages had similar upward trends which improved by 5% for each field. By contrast, the second position was held by students who were able to speak English only significantly dropped from 20% to 10% of students. Meanwhile, the proportions of German spoken by British students kept unchanged during the whole period.