The graph below shows the quantities of goods transported in the UK between 1974 and 2002 by four different modes of transport.

maya123's picture

The line graph illustrates changes in the amount of goods transported in the UK using four routes such as rail, water, road and pipeline over a period of 28 years i.e. from 1974 to 2002.Units are measured in million tonnes.
Overall, amounts of goods transported by road, water and pipeline show an increase over the period with some fluctuations in between. But the number of goods transported by rail shows a slight increase over the period with many variations in between.
The amount of goods transported by pipeline was just around 1 in 1974 which was the least among other routes of transport. Then it increased continuously until 1994 when it became around 21 and then it levelled off until 2002.The amount of goods transported by water and rail was around 40 in 1974. Then the use of rail as a means of transport showed ups and downs and remained a little more than in 1974, i.e. around 41 in 2002. Whereas the quantity of transported good by water route increased from around 39 to 62 between 1974 and 2002.
The amount of good transported by road was the most among rail, water and pipeline over this period. The quantity of goods transported by road was around 70 in 1974 which the went up to around 90 in2002.