Is the study of the past important to help us understand our present or not? Which ideology do you support?

The topic of this essay is one that initiates long lasting debates. There are of course two schools of thought here. One that says the past should be studied in order to have a better understanding of the present while the other one contradicts this and believes that the past has nothing to do with our present. I am a believer of the first set of thinking.

Both these groups of people have their own reasons for supporting their ideology and have their own examples to back them up. Those that say that the past is not important usually say this because they believe if something is destined to happen, it will. No matter how hard we try to change fate, we can not. For example; no matter how much we study the past, we can not prevent natural disasters. Now the other group of people who say that the past is important support their ideology with their examples. They say that we can not prevent from happening whats destined to happen but by proper planing and study of the past, we can alter its outcome to some acceptable degree if not completely. Typical example would be natural disasters. We can not prevent them but by proper information about their history and probabilities, we can prepare ourselves for their after effects.

All in all, people from the latter school of thought are more successful while those from the former are only taking chances. I don't like to jump into situations that I know nothing about and so I believe that the past is very crucial in having a better understanding of the present.

better to have 4-5 paragraphs:

para 1: introduction
para 2: reason 1
para 3: reason 2
para 4: reason 3 (optional)
para 5: conclusion

or:

para 1: introduction
para 2: idea one.
para 3: however, idea two
para 4: in my opinion...