Some people say that supermarkets and manufacturers have a responsibility to reduce the amount of packaging on products they sell Others believe that it is the consumer s responsibility to avoid buying products that have a lot of packaging

Some people say that supermarkets and manufacturers have a responsibility to reduce the amount of packaging on products they sell. Others believe that it is the consumer’s responsibility to avoid buying products that have a lot of packaging.

Who to blame for environmental issues that people face all around the globe? Even such a minor decision on sharing of liability for extra packaging usage could, actually, ease the pressure from our nature. Thus, it is often argued that extensive over-packaging of products is the responsibility of supermarkets and manufacturers, while others insist that it is the duty of consumers to stay away from buying products that are packed overmuch.
Some people uphold the view that the majority of producers have very little or no awareness about the negative impacts that the excessive plastic packages are having on the environment. The one example to support the mentioned viewpoint is that even in spite of being one of the most popular and hyped company, Amazon delivers products in a box covered with tape and filled with pieces of plastic inside in addition to the original manufacturer wrap up, creating tones of plastic every day that is hardly ever be recycled or reused. Therefore, these are the roots of the issue, and if producers and online stores abstained from the use of at least plastic pieces inside and switched to a more environmentally- friendly shredded paper they would have a tremendous impact on the amount of plastic consumed.
On the other hand, manufacturers and supermarkets serve the desires of the consumers. Consequently, that goes without saying that we as consumers have the responsibility to protect the environment from further pollution by limiting our consumption of products that are excessively packed in non-biodegradable materials. For example, Greta Thunberg – a 16-year-old eco-activist – restrains from using plastic bags at all. Her example has inspired and motivated people of different nationalities and backgrounds to stop using the decomposable materials and to start being more conscious about our fragile environment. Moreover, these “green” habits force governments of different countries, such as Belgium or the Netherland, to put under a ban the production of plastic bags. This example is clear evidence that unless consumers are responsible nothing changes.
In conclusion, companies and individuals both need to be liable for the amount of packaging that is used to package goods. The government also needs to play a significant role in this issue by creating and enforcing laws that companies must adhere to with regards to plastic packaging, and by educating individuals about the environmental destruction and ways to limit the plastic usage by recycling and reusing.