Some school leavers tend to go travelling or work for a period of time before going to university directly what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages

In recent years, taking a gap year has gained a tremendous ubiquity among high school graduates. During this one-year break, many high school leavers may go travel abroad or do internship jobs before getting into higher education. In this essay, the benefits and drawbacks relating to this will be further elucidated.

On the one hand, it is undeniable that taking a gap year can broaden students’ horizons. One prominent justification for this is that they can set off for a trip to another country where they can learn about the cultures and also make new acquaintances. Another reason why having a post-high school plan that temporarily excludes university is synonymous with being beneficial is by virtue of the knowledge they may accumulate on their self-recognition journey. When students have a one-year respite from education, they can reflect on themselves more throughout, specifically about their interests, passions, or their outlooks for the future. A salient figure for why having a year off can be beneficial is Nguyen Lam Thao Tam – a Vietnamese student. After taking a year off, she has found her passion for acting, which in turn help her to gain a substantial number of followers by courtesy of the movie’s resounding success that she took part in - ‘Mat Biec’.

On another hand, it is undeniable that taking a year off can derive students from having motivation for university. The reason for this is that during this one year, they may have tried out different activities and traveled to many countries, therefore, when they have to get back on track, it is possible that they may not want to continue their studies. Another justification for this is that some graduates who have started an entry-level job may be partial to the idea of climbing the job ladder so that they can have a more lucrative promotion. This can make them feel worn out as the higher position they get the more intense it may be, which can be unbeneficial for their mental and physical health.

To recapitulate, taking a gap year can be helpful as students can embark on their traveling as well as their self-awareness journey. However, this does not exclude the disadvantages of pulling a halt to higher education of many students and having a negative effect on their general well-being.