Home >> .

49) Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Face-to-face communication is better than other types of communication, such as letters, email, or telephone calls. Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

ZhicongLiang's picture

With the development of internet and samrt phone, a prevalent statement we hear a lot today is that face to face communication is better than other types of communication, like sending email or chatting through skype or message. People supporting this view think that we are more sincere when we are talking face to face. A considerable number of opponents, however, argue that talking face to face will make people neverous or even anxious. As far as I am concerned, the former view seems to align more with my personal pespective. There are several reasons to support my point of view. The following two will suffice here.

To begin with, people tend to be more sincere when they are talking face to face. As we all know, when we communicate with other people through the internet or cell phones, since we know that they could not see our facial expression or physical movement, we tend to say things that not exactly what we think. Image that when someone keep bothering us on skype. Even though we are really upset and even angry, we still say someting nice to be polite, which is totally against our real thought. On the contrary, if this thing happens when we are talking face to face, we may more likely to say the word in our heart since we know that we already did with our face. This encourages us to express our true feeling and it is healthy for our relaitonship with other people in the long term.

For anther, it is easier for people to concentrate on the conversation when they are talking face to face. I think the following secenario is very familiar for us: when we are chatting with other people in the skype, we are also doing all kinds of other stuff in the same time, like talking with another guy or watch video. These things will total distract us from the conversation and prevent us from having a deep and heart-to-heart one. However, when we are talking face-to-face, we have to pay all our attention on the conversation, which will help deepen people's relationship.

Admittedly, a minority of people may argue that when we are communicating through internet, we can think twice before we send out our message since we do not have to reponse immediately, which will prevent us from saying something wrong for inpluse. However, what I want to refute is that this aspect is benefical only in official communication. When we are talking with our friends or family, we always want to hear the truth of them instead of the reasonable one. And that exactly is what a communication is about.

In conclusion, I highly agree with the statement that face-to-face communication is better than all other kinds. Not only will it encourages us to express our true feeling but also it requires our full attention in the conversation, which are the essense in a good communication.