Home >> .

55) Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? A person should never make an important decision alone. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

TBT's picture

There is no shortage of debate about making a crucial decision whether alone or with someone. Personally, I believe that deciding without any help from others will be beneficial for a person. I feel this way for two reasons which I will explore in the following essay.
First of all, in the rest of our life, we should become independent in our decision, thought and beliefs. Since everyone lives alone in the vast majority part of life, we should learn how to make a decision autonomously. Furthermore, the development of this skill can be helpful in becoming mature, in other words, we can broaden our horizons with it. My own experience is a compelling example of this. Until I was 18, I relied on my parents or brother heavily. Consequently, when I entered university overseas, I face many troubles, because I was very shy and not confident. However, as nobody helped me how to do something here, I had to learn to decide on my own. As a result, I came out of my shell and refused to depend on people, it was a very unforgettable stage of my life. I would become very successful at the beginning of my study unless I depended on my relatives.
Secondly, ideas and decisions should original, which are not used by other people. In my opinion, this is very invaluable to become thriving in every sphere. Sometimes discuss with others may appear to be useful, but our assumptions will be affected by external influence. For this reason, everybody should reflect and decide autonomously. For example, young generation believes that a good job cannot guarantee their future, in contrast, elder people feel that studying hard and get a job can provide anything they want. However, the situation has changed, humans are now worrying about how to avoid redundancy, when a company restructures, downsizes and outsources its workforce. Whereas, others, who decided to embark on their own career, do not face this problem. As we can see, others' interference in making a significant decision will be disastrous.
To sum up, I feel strongly that people should make an important decision on their own, instead of asking advice. This is because independence is one of the factors to succeed, and because our notions must be new, which are not used before.

Your rating: None Average: 7 (1 vote)