TOPIC # 55 Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? A person should never make an important decision alone.

Getting some advice and consulting have no harms. So it is better to remember that advice is cheap and to use it rather than taking our important decision alone. I totally agree with this statement on the following grounds.

First and foremost, it is rational to receive pieces of advice from those who have similar experiences and related expertise. Consulting gives us the opportunity to hear others’ perspectives, prevents us from repeating their mistakes, broadens our line of thought, and gives us a more comprehensive image of our options. As man’s outlook is usually limited, he might inadvertently ignore some obvious and serious cons of an option, while he is magnifying some pros of it.

Another important point is that we should also talk to our family or friends. They might not have the accurate knowledge about the field of our decision, but at least they know our characteristics, interests, and future goals. And they can help us determine whether it is suitable for us or not. For example, my friend was so fond of studying abroad, however her mother reminded her that she is so emotional and dependent to her family, and she might soon get homesick. So she gave up on her dream.

Last but not least, after talking to experts and our family, the last decision is up to us. As soon as, we gathered thorough information about preferences and weighed the advantages and disadvantages, we can make our final decision and accept its responsibility so as not blame others in the future. Back to the previous example, my friend is now married, but she has always regretted her decision and points the finger at her mother. Although, she could have not survived there alone.

To sum it up, I believe it is much better to benefit from others’ knowledge and experiences to make a more certain decision and not to repeat others' mistakes.

Getting some advice and consulting have no harms.
Getting some advice and consulting has no harms.

advice is cheap and to use it rather than taking our important decision alone.