Home >> .

TPO-07 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Aftab1's picture

Some people think that if they want to be a good student, they should learn the facts or memorize them very well. However, others believe that it is more important for students to perceive the concepts and ideas. In my view, understanding the ideas and concepts is more valuable than learning the facts. Because the students should be able to solve the new problems of human's life, understanding is more important than getting the good grades and all the scientists are able to challenge the facts by proposing new ideas. I will elaborate my reasons on the following paragraphs.
First and foremost, students are studying in order to improve the condition of human's life. Hence, they should be able to propose new ideas for improving technology or science boundaries. For this purpose, at first, they should perceive the concepts very well and then, they should understand different ideas to propose a new one themselves. A research that has done on high school students in 2017 in Iran showed that students who just learn the facts have the lower innovation ability rather than students who try to learn the concepts and ideas.
Second, understanding is more important than getting good grades. Some people go to university or college for getting good grades in order to get a suitable job in the future. Hence, they focus on getting good grades just by learning and memorizing the facts. I think this is not enough because if they confront with a new problem in the future, they will not be able to solve it. Because they did not learn how to think consequently, they will not be successful in their job. One of our professors always said that you should learn how to think, after that you will be able to learn anything.
Finally, all the scientists and famous engineers have learned how to challenge the facts. They know that they should be curious about anything and never accept any fact without understanding its concept. For instance, Einstein always was enthusiastic to challenges the facts that he was learning at school or university. Hence, he always thought about the concepts deeply and discuss new ideas with his professors and classmates. Therefore, I think understanding the concepts and ideas is more important than learning the facts.
To sum up, in my opinion perceiving the concepts and ideas is more important than learning or memorizing the facts. Because for being a successful person who is able to solve different problems, a student should learn the concepts very well and be able to propose new ideas.

Your rating: None Average: 7.5 (2 votes)