Home >> .

TPO 12 - It is better to have broad knowledge of many academic subjects than to specialize in one specific subject.

PRACHI DAVE's picture

In the past few years, education has been playing a crucial part in the community. Parents prefer to give higher education to their children. Also, education is important to get a job due to increasing competitions in past decades. Some argue that having a broader knowledge of many subjects will be fruitful for the individual to get a job. While others hold the idea that the person will be more successful who just focusing on one specific subject. From my perspective, the former view carries more weight. I take the position on account for the following reasons.
Primarily, people who acquired more academic subjects, they will have more job opportunities. This is because people can work efficiently when they have knowledge from various fields. On top of that, companies tend to hire employees who are familiar with more than one subjects. Additionally, it is required to compete with higher competitions in the job market. For example, with the increasing competition between the individual who has done master in one subject, my company would like to hire an employee having knowledge of various subjects. That way, it is almost certain that graduates can compete for the job and easily hire by the company.
Furthermore, sometimes different issues are not separated from each other and they are interconnected. Same way, some subjects are connected to each other. Students would need to study more than one subjects to understand the one major subject and it would be beneficial for them in that way. I am a compelling example of this. I have pursued master on health care but for that, I have been required to complete many other related subjects like community subject and general prevention of community care because without completing those basic subjects, I was not allowed to study masters in health care.
Moreover, diverse information helps one to find the field in which they are interested in. Broad knowledge in various fields will be beneficial because one can choose interesting subjects among all the subjects. There are some people who have completed their specialization in one major field, and they realized that it is no more interesting subjects for them, however, they cannot switch to other fields at this position. On the other side, if students would study various subjects, they can switch to the other subjects anytime in the future.
All in all, I strongly believe that having knowledge in various fields have benefits which carry more weight compared to the alternative idea. This is because it gives flexibility in the selection process for the particular subject in the future and it helps to find a job easily in order to make one's career strong.