University students should be required to take at least one course that teaches them the culture of a country rather than their own

University students should be required to take at least one course that teaches them the culture of a country rather than their own.

With the communications between countries becoming more frequent nowadays, it comes an era that is more important for people to learn about other countries’ cultures than ever before. A university student, from my standpoint, should be required to take at least one course relating to the culture of a foreign country.
First of all, learning about the culture of a foreign country can help university students get prepared for today’s fast speed of globalization. Admittedly, communications between countries are growing at an astounding rate and international trading has become an essential part of the world’s economy. Chinese merchants transact with most countries around the globe, such as the United States, Japan, Korea, India, etc. To realize this, establishing a good relationship is the first and primary step to do. Therefore, learning about the country’s culture becomes significant – like people always get to know a person before they make friends with them, a person should always learn about another country that they want to trade with. As culture represents the core of a country, starting from it will make the process much easier. University students are likely to be involved in the future trade like this, so they need to equip them with the necessary skills like this and learn more about other country’s culture.
Additionally, university students tend to go abroad in their future lives for reasons like studying, working, traveling, etc. In this scenario, knowing that country’s culture is something critical. If they do not want to misunderstand or get confused about what they experience in a foreign country, it is advisable to study that country’s culture before their visits. This is because cultural differences exist between countries, thus a simple gesture may have a totally different meaning in a foreign country than in one’s motherland. By carefully examining these local cultures, one can be confident when visiting a foreign country without any trouble.
To conclude, it is a must for college students to take at least one course teaching them a foreign country’s culture, for it prepares them for the globalization and visiting a foreign country without cultural misunderstandings.