Integrated TOEFL tpo 16 The United Kingdom sometimes referred to as Britain has a long and rich history of human settlement Traces of buildings tools and art can be found from periods going back many thousands of years from the Stone Age through the Bronz

Integrated TOEFL tpo 16

The United Kingdom (sometimes referred to as Britain) has a long and rich history of human settlement. Traces of buildings, tools, and art can be found from periods going back many thousands of years: from the Stone Age, through the Bronze Age, the Iron Age, the time of the Roman colonization, the Middle Ages, up to the beginnings of the industrial age. Yet for most of the twentieth century, the science of archaeology,dedicated to uncovering and studying old cultural artifacts,was faced with serious problems and limitations in Britain.

First, many valuable artifacts were lost to construction projects. The growth of Britain's population, especially from the 1950s on, spurred a lot of new construction in British cities, towns, and villages. While digging foundations for new buildings, the builders often uncovered archaeologically valuable sites.Usually, however, they proceeded with the construction and did not preserve the artifacts. Many archaeologically precious artifacts were therefore destroyed.

Second, many archaeologists felt that the financial support for archaeological research was inadequate. For most of the twentieth century, archaeology was funded mostly through government funds and grants, which allowed archaeologists to investigate a handful of the most important sites but which left hundreds of other interesting projects without support. Furthermore, changing government priorities brought about periodic reductions in funding.

Third, it was difficult to have a career in archaeology. Archaeology jobs were to be found at universities or with a few government agencies, but there were never many positions available. Many people who wanted to become archaeologists ended up pursuing other careers and contributing to archaeological research only as unpaid amateurs.

The reading passage shows ancient cultural artifacts confronted with several problems, while the author rejects saying none of these are convincing.

To begin with, the reading passage states that a lot of artifacts were destroyed by digging a new construction. It is mentioned in the text that while holing foundations , they did not store the artifacts. In contrast, the professor refutes these challenges by arguing that By following new guidelines, they ought to examine the site before starting. He claims that it should be carry out extensively for searching valuable artifacts and preserve.

Secondly, the writer points out that the money for archaeological research was very small and most of the time it did not cover of the other projects . The article notes that sometimes changing goverment also impeded to work on this. The author, however counters these statments byb ciondenting that it must be provided by construction company for initial examination. He suggests that they must do work under preservation plan in great extensive area.

Finally it is mentioned in the text that it was very onerous to get job in this sector and most of the archaeologist try to establish themselves other careers. The speaker, nonetheless casts on doubt made in the text and says that it is demandable for all experts and hire them. He believes that they have to do their work in systemic way and furthermore he eleborates this point by saying that in britian the demand in increasing `very rapidly.