Essay topics: In many organizations, perhaps the best way to approach certain new projects is to assemble a group of people into a team.
Having a team of people attack a project offers several advantages. First of all, a group of people has a wider range of knowledge, expertise, and skills than any single individual is likely to possess. Also, because of the numbers of people involved and the greater resources they possess, a group can work more quickly in response to the task assigned to it and can come up with highly creative solutions to problems and issues. Sometimes these creative solutions come about because a group is more likely to make risky decisions that an individual might not undertake. This is because the group spreads responsibility for a decision to all the members and thus no single individual can be held accountable if the decision turns out to be wrong.
Taking part in a group process can be very rewarding for members of the team. Team members who have a voice in making a decision will no doubt feel better about carrying out the work that is entailed by the decision than they might doing work that is imposed on them by others. Also, the individual team member has a much better chance to "shine", to get his or her contributions and ideas not only recognized but recognized as highly significant, because a team's overall results can be more far-reaching and have greater impact than what might have otherwise been possible for the person to accomplish or contribute working alone.
The reading passage presents several advantages for having a team of people work on a project. However, the speaker in the lecture casts doubt on the claims made in the article. He mentions that a company implemented this strategy by assigning a group of people to finish a project. According to the lecture, The firm found out that working in groups actually has many disadvantages which the professor points out in the lecture.
First of all, the writer assumes that working together would be very rewarding for team members as they would feel they are contributing in the decision making process. In addition, team members would see their contributions as highly significant since the results from the group work would be more far-reaching than the outcomes if a person works on their own. In contrast, the lecturer brings up the fact that it was demonstrated that some people got a free ride which meant they got credit for the accomplished work without really giving a hand in the efforts done on the task. Moreover, group members who genuinely worked hard never got their names recognized as the acknowledgement went to the group as a whole and as a result, they had the opposite attitude when asked about how they felt.
Secondly, the author holds that a group would have more knowledge and would make creative decisions as the risk would be spread over all the members and not one person only. Besides, due to the greater resources that are available to a group, they would be more efficient and would complete required jobs quickly. Conversely, the lecturer indicates that it was found that the group was very slow because it was hard to reach consensus between group members and building an agreement did not happen until several exhaustive meetings. What;s more, few people were very influential on the decisions that the group made. For instance, if those influencers thought that certain idea was not going to work, the idea was quickly dropped by the group without further discussions. On the other hand, the group adopted some bad ideas just because the influencers considered them valid ignoring warnings from other team members. Furthermore, when the project failed, the blame was placed on the entire group
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|6 days 21 min ago||Md Lutfor Rahman||73||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 2 days ago||dew2222||65||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 4 days ago||Seyed Armin Mir...||80||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 6 days ago||supergirl20||76||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||mbabar||80||Read full essay|
|1 month 4 weeks ago||souvik20||83||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 weeks ago||suyogbachhav||83||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 weeks ago||shrijan||81||Read full essay|
|3 months 2 days ago||fofty||60||Read full essay|
|3 months 1 week ago||hitenkothari||73||Read full essay|
- london and german fossils (86)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? It is better to be a member of a group than to be a leader of a group. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (86)
- online pharmacies (83)
- Some people believe that a college or university education should be available to all students.Others believe that higher education should be available only to good students. Discuss theseviews. Which view do you agree with? Explain why. (90)
- methane gas explosion vs asteroid (80)
- tunguska (3)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People are never satisfied with what they have; they always want something more or something different. Use specific reasons to support your answer. (76)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? There is nothing that young people can teach older people. Use specific reasons and examples to support your position. (88)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? There is nothing that young people can teach older people. Use specific reasons and examples to support your position. (76)
- Some students prefer to study at a large university that has several thousand students. Other students prefer studying at a small school that has only a few hundred students. Which type of these two types of schools do you prefer? (60)