Peer-to-peer file sharing software enables computers to connect and exchange data over a decentralized network. This software has allowed for the sharing of music, video, and random files without payment. Users rationalized the lack of monetary exchange b

Peer-to-peer file sharing software enables computers to connect and exchange data over a decentralized network. This software has allowed for the sharing of music, video, and random files without payment. Users rationalized the lack of monetary exchange by citing the ‘fair use’ clause in copyright legislation, which permits the owner of a purchased item to share it with others. They also make the analogy to the right to photocopy any material available in a public library and refer to clauses in copyright law that permit users to tape programs on television or radio. If this type of copying is not a violation of copyright law, they reason that file sharing, in like manner, should also be allowed.
Peer-to-peer software users also point out that file sharing can benefit artists in a variety of ways. In the music business, for example, file sharing offers established and unknown recording artists a wider range of exposure than would normally be the case. In fact, musicians may benefit from an expanded fan base, not to mention higher participation rates at concerts and live performances. Furthermore, file sharing provides a venue for listeners to sample music before making a purchase. In this way, file sharing on the internet is similar to listening to the radio.
Finally, a number of researchers have demonstrated that the recent rise in peer-to-peer downloading, specifically of music, has not adversely affected music sales. In some reports, music sales have even improved as a consequence. A recent Canadian study, for instance, found that those involved in file sharing purchased more, not less, music. Likewise, another study in the UK revealed that illegal downloaders spent four times as much on legally obtained music as those who did not utilize peer-to-peer services.

Essay topics in audio

The professor discusses the disadvantages of peer-to-peer sharing software and the reasons it comes under attack. The information she presents contradicts facts outlined in the reading passage.

Firstly, the professor indicates that has suffered significantly from this software. She clarifies that there are around one billion illegal donwloads monthly and annual losses in range of $4.3 billion. However, the reading says that music sales have been increased with the recent rise in peer-to-peer sharing software. The passage also provides two studies indicating people purchase more songs rather than illegal downloading.

Secondly, the professor asserts that sharing songs between computers using these servers is against the copyright legislation. The professor provides an example of a peer-to-peer server, which was shut down because of illegal sharing of files, as an evidence to support this. The professor refutes the users’ assertion about ‘fair use’ clause. According to this clause, users are allowed to lend purchased CDs to their friends, not sharing them with strangers over the internet. However, the article posits that this type of copying is not a violation of copyright law.

Thirdly, the professor rejects the fact that peer-to-peer software aids the artists to gain popularity. The lecturer cites a study showing that a few number of downloads were from newborn artists. All in all, the unknown artists failed to gain popularity or success. On the other hand, the reading cites that peer-to-peer software can benefit unknown artists in a variety of ways.

The information she presents contradicts facts outlined in the reading passage.
The information she presents contradicts the facts outlined in the reading passage.

the professor indicates that has suffered significantly from this software
the professor indicates that she has suffered significantly from this software

Sentence: She clarifies that there are around one billion illegal donwloads monthly and annual losses in range of 4.3 billion.
Error: donwloads Suggestion: downloads