Pros and cons of the smart cars

Pros and cons of the smart cars

Nowadays new technologies try hardly to improve our lives in very different ways, for example cars. There are a lot of virtually self-driving cars, which have both pros and cons. While pros are mentioned in the reading part, cons are mentioned in the listening part. They both concern the chance of an accident, the traffic problems, and the costs.

The first point I want to mention is the chance of an accident. The reading part states that because smart cars have sensors to determine if they have obstacles in front of them, they will prevent the accidents, since they stop automatically, if they encounter with an obstacle. However, the listening part indicates that because the smart cars have the same distances from each other, the highways will be more highly packed, which increases the chance of the accidents, indeed.

The second point is the traffic problems. As the increase of the smart cars on the highways, the traffic problems will eventually disappear. Because they will drive themselves, but also communicate with the other cars simultaneously. On the other hand, the listening part mentions that because of “convenience” of these new cars, everybody will gradually start to use them, which, in contrast, causes the more traffic problems.

The final point is the costs. Because they use the most direct routes to the desired location, the expensive parts of the cars – breaks, the parts of the engine, and etc. – will last longer, which will reduce the cost of a repair and replacement. The listening part, however mentions that the smart cars will have much more expensive parts, like sensors, which debunks the claim of the reading part.