Soon technology will provide smart cars that virtually drives themselves A computer in the car determines the speed and route to the desired destination The computer is in continuous contact with a global positioning system and other technologies that wil

Soon technology will provide smart cars that virtually drives themselves. A computer in the car determines the speed and route to the desired destination. The computer is in continuous contact with a global positioning system and other technologies that will provide extremely accurate information about the location of the car, other cars on the road, congestion, accidents, and so forth. The human driver will be little more than a passenger. Smart cars promise to make driving safer, quicker, and less expensive.
First of all, smart cars will prevent many accidents, thereby saving lives. The cars will be equipped with a variety of sensors that very accurately detect cars and other obstacles in their path, and they will have automatic programs that control braking and turning to avoid collisions. Given the hundreds of accidents that occur on highways daily, it is clear that humans do apoor job of avoiding accidents and that computer control would be a great improvement.
Second, with the wide use of smart cars, traffic problems will practically disappear. These computer-controlled cars can follow each other closely, even at high speeds. Today commuting by car can take hours a day. So the increased speed of smart cars will be a great benefit, welcomed by many people who commute by car.
Finally, smart cars will bring a reduction in the costs of driving. Because smart cars are programmed to drive the most direct routes, car owners will have to spend less money on repairs and replacement parts. Expensive items such as brakes, tires, and transmissions will last much longer in smart cars than in other cars.

Essay topics in audio

The lecturer disagrees with the advantages of computer driven smart cars mentioned in the reading passage in the following ways.

It is mentioned in the passage that the computer driven smart cars will significantly reduce the number of the accidents due to better equipment and absence of human error. The lecturer disagrees with it. She says that any device can fail and can lead to the accidents. She further adds, that the accidents will involve more cars as cars will be at little distance from each other .

Secondly, she disagrees with the point mentioned in the passage that there will be no traffic jams. She explains this by saying that it has been proved before, that whenever driving became more convenient than before , the number of people driving cars also increased. So, keeping this in mind, she reasons that more number of cars on the road will increase the traffic jam problem.

The lecturer explains that although the maintenance of regular car equipment will reduce but the overall cost of driving car will increase as opposed to mentioned in the passage. She further adds that the highly advanced equipment used in the cars will be more expensive and the maintenance of these equipment will be quite expensive.

Sentence: The lecturer explains that although the maintenance of regular car equipment will reduce but the overall cost of driving car will increase as opposed to mentioned in the passage.
Description: The token to is not usually followed by a verb, past participle
Suggestion: Refer to to and mentioned

No. of Words: 207 250 //more content wanted from introduction. Read sample essays from ETS:
http://www.testbig.com/users/toeflwritingmaster