TPO-08 - Integrated Writing Task Toward the end of his life, the Chevalier de Seingalt (1725-1798) wrote a long memoir recounting his life and adventures. The Chevalier was a somewhat controversial figure, but since he met many famous people, including ki

hoangtuyet's picture

The reading and the speaker discuss whether the memory of Chevalier de Seingalt was accurate from different perspectives. The speaker negates all the ideas has mentioned in the reading.
First of all, the author of the reading points out that Chevalier de Seingalt declared that when he lived in Switzerland he was wealthy and he spent a lot of money on parties or gambles, but in fact he borrowed amount of money from a merchant. This point is challenged by the speaker. He restates the fact that it is true that Chevalier de Seingalt borrowed money. However, it does not mean that he was not rich. Actually, Chevalier de Seingalt needed to sell his properties and while waiting for the money from his trading, he borrowed some money from merchant and then he paid back to him.
Secondly, the author of the reading contends that people doubt about the accuracy of conversation between Chevalier de Seingalt and Voltaire. The speaker rebuts this argument by saying that every time after conversing with famous writer Voltaire, Chevalier de Seingalt wrote down what they have talked on a note book. He kept that book for many years. Moreover, a person lived with him witnessed that book.
Finally, the author of the reading states that Chevalier de Seingalt did not escape from prison in Italy as he said, but some of his friends bribed to free him. The speaker, on the other hand, opposes this point by explaining that there were other prisoners wealthier than Chevalier de Seingalt at that time, but none of them could bribe to get free. Therefore, Chevalier de Seingalt's friends could not do that either. He puts forth the idea that a government document shown that after Chevalier de Seingalt escaped, the ceiling of that prison needed to repair.