TPO 11 Integrated a decline in reading the literature

Both the reading passage and the lecturer are discussing the amount of time today's people are spending on reading literature. The passage asserts that people are spending far less time on reading the literature than they used to and it has unfortunate effects for culture. However, the lecturer believe that the idea of the passage is debatable. He claims that while it is often said that people are spending less time reaing the literature, it doesn't mean the culture in general is declining. He offers several reasons for her opinion.

First of all, the passage states that the decrease in reading literature is unfortunate because nothing like literature stimulates the mind. On the contrary, the lecturer mentions that literature books are not the only books that cause mental stimulation. There many other type of books like science books that can have the same effect on mind. So as a result, a decline in reading literature doesn't mean that we are losing the mental stimulation and imagination.

Secondly, the passage argues that people are spending their time on doing activities like watching television or reading a web page or listening to music. These kind of actvities are trivial forms of entertainment and lowers the level of culture in general. In contrast, the lecturer suggests that watching a good movie or lstening to piece of music doesn't mean wasting of time. The form of culture has altered and this new form includes activities like watching movies and it can speak more directly to the audience.

Finally, the author posits that it is unfortunate that poeple don't read literature today. There are many talented writers that have a lack of audience. This results in less investment from publishers in the literature books. On the other hand, the lecturer states it is not correct to always blame the readers for less support for the literature. Many of the modern literature books are hard to read and it is the authors' fault that people are not attracted to the modern literature books.