TPO-13 - Integrated Writing Task Private collectors have been selling and buying fossils, the petrified remains of ancient organisms, ever since the eighteenth century. In recent years, however, the sale of fossils, particularly of dinosaurs and other lar

ali rouhani's picture

The main idea of both the passage and the lecture is about selling fossils in the commercial market. In this line of thought, the reading states that selling specimens to some fossil collector has some disadvantage such as the data public and scientists’ shortage, and damaged fossils. The lecturer, on the other hand, casts doubt on all the three episodes of arguments mentioned in the passage, believing that none of these strategies are practical and lead to the real world. In the rest of the passage, a comparison between them is provided.

First of all, the reading and the listening materials talk about the data public shortage. The author explains that it can make public hard to see their collections in the museums; therefore, it might be declined by the public and make people favorable lessen. Thus, the author contends that sell each fossil have some unfortunate impact on the people’s paleontology. On the contrary, the lecturer believes that fossil hunters hold some specimens to trade the fossils to the common institution such as schools, library etc. consequently, the lecturer believes that there are specimens assortment which people can use them. This directly contradicts what the passage indicates.

Second, both the text and the talk discuss if fossils market to the collectors, scientists may lose some valuable data about ancient. The author elaborates that if someone can purchase specimens, undoubtedly one is the specimen expertise because finding whether one fossil is fake is not an easy job; thus, the buyer should be a powerful biologist. This was another place where experience contradicted the theory.

Eventually, fossil damaging is discussed by both the passage and the lecture. The author mentions that the valuable specimens damaged by commercial fossils' connoisseur because they are untrained and uninterested for carrying out the fossils carefully. The lecturer rebuts this argument and states that even if some specimens are destroyed, many of them are not discovered until now, and scientists and university institutions can lead them to improve their biological knowledge. This opinion directly contradicts the presented passage and making it infeasible.

Sum up, although the passage provides some reasons to deprive selling specimens to the fossil collectors, the lecture opposes about the effectiveness and possibility of those reasons.

Your rating: None Average: 8 (1 vote)