The reading and the lecture are both about salvage logging, which is a process of removing dead trees from natural disasters like fires or severe storms. The author of the reading believes that it has advantageous for forest recovery and economy. The lecturer casts doubt on the claims made in the article. He says that salvage logging is not that beneficial.
First of all, the author points out that it will help the forest recover as it makes space for new trees to grow. This point is challenged by the lecturer. He says that removing trees without letting them decompose will leave the soil with less needed nutrients for the new growth.
Secondly, the author contends that this practice also helps get rid of insect that causes danger to trees. The lecturer rebuts this argument. He states that insects actually do not have any harmful effects on the plants. Conversely, they play an important role in the ecosystem.
Finally, the author states that salvage logging will benefit the economy because it provides additional jobs for the locals. It also mentioned that the damaged trees still can be used by industries. The lecturer, on the other hand, posits that this process is quite expensive and so it is a downside for the economy. Furthermore, the newly created jobs are only temporary and usually, foreign workers take it not the local residents.
- TPO-17 - Integrated Writing Task In the past century, the steady growth of the human population and the corresponding increase in agriculture and pesticide use have caused much harm to wildlife in the United States,birds in particular. Unfortunately for b 80
- Did bees (a type of insect) exist on Earth as early as 200 million years ago? Such a theory is supported by the discovery of very old fossil structures that resemble bee nests. The structures have been found inside 200- million-year-old fossilized trees i 60
- TPO-10 - Integrated Writing Task The sea otter is a small mammal that lives in waters along the western coast of North America from California to Alaska. When some sea otter populations off the Alaskan coast started rapidly declining a few years ago, it c 80
- TPO-44 - Integrated Writing Task In 1957 a European silver coin dating to the eleventh century was discovered at a Native American archaeological site in the state of Maine in the United States. Many people believed the coin had been originally brought to 85
- TPO-14 - Integrated Writing Task Every year, forest fires and severe stormscause a great deal of damage to forests in the northwestern United States. One way of dealing with the aftermath of these disasters is called salvage logging, which is the practice 75
Grammar and spelling errors:
Line 1, column 248, Rule ID: ENGLISH_WORD_REPEAT_BEGINNING_RULE
Message: Three successive sentences begin with the same word. Reword the sentence or use a thesaurus to find a synonym.
...ageous for forest recovery and economy. The lecturer casts doubt on the claims made...
Transition Words or Phrases used:
actually, also, but, conversely, finally, first, furthermore, second, secondly, so, still, first of all, on the other hand
Attributes: Values AverageValues Percentages(Values/AverageValues)% => Comments
Performance on Part of Speech:
To be verbs : 8.0 10.4613686534 76% => OK
Auxiliary verbs: 4.0 5.04856512141 79% => OK
Conjunction : 5.0 7.30242825607 68% => OK
Relative clauses : 12.0 12.0772626932 99% => OK
Pronoun: 27.0 22.412803532 120% => Less pronouns wanted
Preposition: 19.0 30.3222958057 63% => OK
Nominalization: 1.0 5.01324503311 20% => More nominalizations (nouns with a suffix like: tion ment ence ance) wanted.
Performance on vocabulary words:
No of characters: 1139.0 1373.03311258 83% => OK
No of words: 230.0 270.72406181 85% => More content wanted.
Chars per words: 4.95217391304 5.08290768461 97% => OK
Fourth root words length: 3.89432290496 4.04702891845 96% => OK
Word Length SD: 2.40496100366 2.5805825403 93% => OK
Unique words: 140.0 145.348785872 96% => OK
Unique words percentage: 0.608695652174 0.540411800872 113% => OK
syllable_count: 347.4 419.366225166 83% => OK
avg_syllables_per_word: 1.5 1.55342163355 97% => OK
A sentence (or a clause, phrase) starts by:
Pronoun: 6.0 3.25607064018 184% => OK
Article: 9.0 8.23620309051 109% => OK
Subordination: 0.0 1.25165562914 0% => More adverbial clause wanted.
Conjunction: 0.0 1.51434878587 0% => OK
Preposition: 1.0 2.5761589404 39% => More preposition wanted as sentence beginning.
Performance on sentences:
How many sentences: 15.0 13.0662251656 115% => OK
Sentence length: 15.0 21.2450331126 71% => The Avg. Sentence Length is relatively short.
Sentence length SD: 34.6422991282 49.2860985944 70% => OK
Chars per sentence: 75.9333333333 110.228320801 69% => OK
Words per sentence: 15.3333333333 21.698381199 71% => OK
Discourse Markers: 8.13333333333 7.06452816374 115% => OK
Paragraphs: 4.0 4.09492273731 98% => OK
Language errors: 1.0 4.19205298013 24% => OK
Sentences with positive sentiment : 7.0 4.33554083885 161% => OK
Sentences with negative sentiment : 7.0 4.45695364238 157% => OK
Sentences with neutral sentiment: 1.0 4.27373068433 23% => More facts, knowledge or examples wanted.
What are sentences with positive/Negative/neutral sentiment?
Coherence and Cohesion:
Essay topic to essay body coherence: 0.398890556565 0.272083759551 147% => OK
Sentence topic coherence: 0.104835310151 0.0996497079465 105% => OK
Sentence topic coherence SD: 0.0782528891512 0.0662205650399 118% => OK
Paragraph topic coherence: 0.211086121656 0.162205337803 130% => OK
Paragraph topic coherence SD: 0.0729870730164 0.0443174109184 165% => OK
automated_readability_index: 9.5 13.3589403974 71% => Automated_readability_index is low.
flesch_reading_ease: 64.71 53.8541721854 120% => OK
smog_index: 3.1 5.55761589404 56% => Smog_index is low.
flesch_kincaid_grade: 8.0 11.0289183223 73% => OK
coleman_liau_index: 10.84 12.2367328918 89% => OK
dale_chall_readability_score: 8.5 8.42419426049 101% => OK
difficult_words: 60.0 63.6247240618 94% => OK
linsear_write_formula: 6.5 10.7273730684 61% => OK
gunning_fog: 8.0 10.498013245 76% => OK
text_standard: 8.0 11.2008830022 71% => OK
What are above readability scores?
Rates: 75.0 out of 100
Scores by essay e-grader: 22.5 Out of 30
Note: the e-grader does NOT examine the meaning of words and ideas. VIP users will receive further evaluations by advanced module of e-grader and human graders.