tpo 21

tpo 21

The reading and the lecture discuss genetic modification trees which have benefit for farmers and the environment. Although the passage brings three theories about the positive aspect of new trees, the speaker refutes these ideas for several reasons, which I will describe in this report.

First and foremost, the passage points out that genetically modified trees are more resistant to different diseases, and they are more likely to survive than nature trees. The lecturer, in contrast, rejects this by claiming that nature trees are genetically varied even in a particular species. Thus, it is likely for some of them to be resistant to a particular disease and ensure the survival of that species. On the other hand, genetically modified trees are genetically uniform, so if they face a specific disease that is not designed to withstand it, they will probably extinct entirely.

Furthermore, the reading passage states that genetically modified trees bring an economical positive aspect to farmers. However, the professor argues that the farmer must pay money to cultivate each tree every year, And, they cannot use the nuts that brings from trees. Thus, she thinks that genetically modified trees are not economically beneficial for farmers.

finally, although the passage says that genetically modified trees can prevent overexploitation of wild trees, the speaker disagrees by mentioning that genetically modified trees grow more aggressively, and they may out compete the nature trees for resources like water, sun light and soil. Subsequently, genetically modified trees could become a possible danger for nature trees and cause problem for them or even make them extinct.