TPO 21

TPO 21

In this set of materials, both the reading and the lecturer discuss a genetic modification that is a process for changing the genes of organisms and make them more profitable. Although the passage brings three theories for the advantages of genetically modified trees, the speaker refutes all of the arguments described in this report.

To start off, the passage points out that genetically modified trees are more resistant compare to the natural ones to environmental changes and different diseases. The lecturer, in contrast, rejects this by claiming that some of the local trees can survive in harsh situations and a particular disease. In this situation, if the nature trees face a hard situation such as new pests or climate change, most of them would have died, but some of them can be survived. However, the genetically modified trees are uniform, so in this situation, all of them die.

Going through the next approach, the reading passage states that genetically modified trees cause several economic benefits for farmers by producing more fruits, giving greater yields of food and growing fast. Nevertheless, the professor argues that at the first time, farmers must pay a high cost for buying the seed of such trees. Furthermore, they cannot collect the seed of trees for cultivating next year. According to the law, they should pay a cost to companies each year. So, it is not economical for them.

Finally, Although the passage says that these trees can prevent overexploiting of wild trees by growing fast, and using wood of these trees, the speaker disagrees by mentioning that such trees are aggressive to the local trees. She says that the genetically modified trees are competing with the local trees for a source of food like water and soil. Hence, because of competition, they can damage the local trees and make them extinct.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.