Home >> Integrated Toefl Writing Essays

TPO-21 - Integrated Writing Task Genetic modification, a process used to change an organism’s genes and hence its characteristics, is now being used to improve trees through genetic modification. It is possible to create trees that produce more fruit, g

tabatabaei777's picture

The reading suggests that planing genetically modified trees on a large scale promises to bring a number of benefits.however the lecturer finds all the ideas dubious and presents some evidence to refute them all.

Firstly the reading suggests that genetically modified trees are designed to be harder than nature trees, on the contrary the speaker under line the fact that the genetically modified trees can resist in special climate conditions inversely unmodified trees can standout in climates changes.

Secondly,the passage states that modified trees promise to bring a number economic benefits to those who grow them, the professor casts doubt on this idea by stating that modified trees expensive and have hidden cost like every time farmers wants to plant trees they have to charge for these modified seeds while those who grow nature trees don’t need to pay for seeds.

Last but not least the reading asserts that the growing demand for firewood and building timber, many forests are being cut down faster than they can be replaced in contrast the speaker dismisses this issue due to the fact that modified trees can damage local trees by their excessive grow which deplet resources like water, sunlight, soil nutrients.