Home >> Integrated Toefl Writing Essays

TPO-21 - Integrated Writing Task Genetic modification, a process used to change an organism’s genes and hence its characteristics, is now being used to improve trees through genetic modification. It is possible to create trees that produce more fruit, g

tabatabaei777's picture

The reading suggests that planing genetically modified trees on a large scale promises to bring a number of benefits.however the lecturer finds all the ideas dubious and presents some evidence to refute them all.

Firstly, the reading suggests that genetically modified trees are designed to be harder than nature trees, on the contrary the speaker underline the fact that in case of climate change some unmodified trees will survive while genetic modified trees will wiped out due to they are program to resist in specific climate.

Secondly,the passage states that modified trees promise to bring a number economic benefits to those who grow them, the professor casts doubt on this idea by stating that modified trees have hidden costs. Genetic modified seeds are more expensive than normal ones. Also according to law peasants are not allowed to plant seeds which they collect unless they pay charge to companies while if they use unmodified genetic seeds they can seeds every years for free.

Last but not least the reading asserts that the growing demand for firewood and building timber, many forests are being cut down faster than they can be replaced in contrast the speaker dismisses this issue due to the fact that modified trees can damage local trees because they plan between nature trees and by their excessive grow they deplete resources like water, sunlight, soil nutrients.