TPO 27 The Little Ice Age was a period of unusually cold temperature in many parts of the world that lasted from about the year 1350 until 1900C E There were unusually harsh winters and glaciers grew larger in many areas Scientists have long wondered what

TPO-27
The Little Ice Age was a period of unusually cold temperature in many parts of the world that lasted from about the year 1350 until 1900C.E.. There were unusually harsh winters, and glaciers grew larger in many areas. Scientists have long wondered what caused the Little Ice Age. Several possible causes have been proposed.

First, the cooling may have been caused by disrupting of ocean currents. Before the Little Ice Age, there was a period of unusually warm weather during which glaciers melted. These melted glaciers sent a large amount of cold freshwater into the Gulf Stream, a large ocean current that strongly affects Earth's climate. Some scientists believe that this freshwater was enough to temporarily disrupt the Gulf Stream. Such a disruption could have caused the Little Ice Age.

Second, volcanic eruption could have caused the Little Ice Age. When volcanoes erupt, they send dark clouds of dust and sulfur gas into the atmosphere. These clouds, which can spread over great areas, block some sunlight from reaching Earth's surface. This can decrease the global temperatures. Scientists know of several volcanic eruption that took place during the Little Ice Age.

Third, substantial decreases in human populations may have contributed indirectly to the cooling of the climate. For a variety of reason(disease, warfare, social disruption), the human population just before the Little Ice Age and during the early part of it was lower than it had been in a long time. Forest trees started growing on fields that were no longer used for agriculture. Since trees absorb carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, they decrease the greenhouse effect that keeps Earth warm. With more forest trees absorbing carbon dioxide, earth became cooler

The lecturer refutes all three claims in reading which mentions the causes of Little Ice Age. The theories of oceans currents, volcanic eruptions, and the indirect effect of population decline are the plausible reasons for the Ice age. However, the professor has a counter-argument for each of these assertions. He adds that none of these theories were proved true.

First of all, the passage suggests that the cold freshwater from the melted glaciers reached the Gulf Stream producing strong ocean currents that affect the Earth's climate. The professor disproves this theory by stating that, any change in the Gulf Stream could cause-effect in Europe and North America. In fact, this theory cannot prove the climate variation in the Sothern Hemisphere.

Second, reading posits that the gas and the dust emitted from volcanic eruptions hide sunlight to reach Earth leads to the cooling of Earth. On the other hand, the professor argues that if this happens in nature, this may produce a visual effect for people. On top of that, there is no evidence of grey snow or colorful sunlight reported from that time. Hereby lecturer challenges the volcanic eruption theory.

Finally, the author of the reading says that the decrease in the forest and farmlands due to population decline probably reduces greenhouse gases to the atmosphere, which in turn leads to Ice Age. The professor casts doubt on this by arguing that, the human population can grow quickly at that time. So to feed them, trees are cut and fields are used for agriculture. Furthermore, the indirect effect of the human population surge greenhouse gases and thereby disproves the reading claim.